LabRadar Calculated B.C. compilation.

entoptics

Figured this might be a good resource, so I'll start.

If you contribute, please make it clear whether you collected quality atmospheric/elevation data for the shots. As an example of how much it affects the calculation using JBM's B.C. Calculator...

Pressure. ~0.002 change per 0.1 inHg
Pressure.jpg

Elevation. ~0.002 change per 100 ft.
Elevation BC.jpg

Temperature. ~0.001 change per °F
Temp.jpg

As you can see, just pulling data from a "nearby" weather station, using an app on your phone, may not be ideal. If that station is 200 feet different elevation, 5 degrees warmer, and 0.1 inHg different, that adds up to just over 0.01 difference in B.C. It's not a huge difference, but the errors can add up. I use a free barometer app on my iPhone and a Kestrel to get temp/humidity/pressure, within a few minutes of any recorded shot I intend to calculate the B.C. with. This is especially important if the temp is changing fast (early morning, late evening, etc).

Also, try and get as much spread as possible for your near/far distances. A bullet's B.C. varies with velocity, so the further apart you get readings, the better the "average" B.C. will be.

Be sure to set the furthest distance setting to something considerably further than you think you'll get a reading, as the LabRadar will stop a few yards past whatever you set V5 as. I can usually get at least a few readings past 100 yds with 0.243, 150 yds with 0.270, and 200 yds with 0.308. It varies with the bullet style of course.

So...my data.

0.284, 175 ELD-X, 7mm Rem Mag, 1:9.5 twist, quality atmospherics, near/far separation >100 yds. Average of 3 shots = 0.681. Surprisingly close to the 0.689 that Hornady quotes, despite being only recommended for 1:8.5 twist.

0.243, 103 ELD-X, 243 Win, 1:10 twist, quality atmospherics, near/far separation >100 yds. Average of 6 readings = 0.483. ~6% below Hornady's quoted 0.512, though not surprising, as they recommend a 1:8 twist.

0.243, 100 Sierra SPBT, 243 Win, 1:10 twist, quality atmospherics, near/far separation >100 yds. Average of 6 readings = 0.387. Surprisingly 8% lower than Sierra quotes for my velocity range.

0.277, 140 Nosler Accubond, 270 Win, 1:10 twist, quality atmospherics, near/far >100 yds. Average of 9 readings = 0.452. As is well documented, Nosler inflates their B.C., and my measurements are 9% lower than Nosler quotes. I will say though, I took these measurements over several months/conditions, and the Standard Deviation is only 0.005. The B.C. is inflated, but it's darn consistent.

0.277, 150 Nosler Accubond LR, 270 Win, 1:10 twist, quality atmospherics, near/far >100 yds. Average of 4 readings = 0.565. As above, inflated B.C. by 5%. Also very consistent like the AB. Too bad they shoot like crap in my rifle.

0.308, 208 ELD-M, 300 WM, 1:10 twist. Like an idiot, I never recorded these, as each time I calculated them, they were within ± 0.005 of the quoted B.C. of 0.690. I do wish I'd compiled the data though...

Anyway,
hope somebody finds this information useful, and hopefully you all can add your data to get a good reference going. Perhaps if there's enough data, I'll compile it into a PDF or Spreadsheet.

Figured this might be a good resource, so I'll start.

If you contribute, please make it clear whether you collected quality atmospheric/elevation data for the shots. As an example of how much it affects the calculation using JBM's B.C. Calculator...

Pressure. ~0.002 change per 0.1 inHg
View attachment 170111

Elevation. ~0.002 change per 100 ft.
View attachment 170112

Temperature. ~0.001 change per °F
View attachment 170113

As you can see, just pulling data from a "nearby" weather station, using an app on your phone, may not be ideal. If that station is 200 feet different elevation, 5 degrees warmer, and 0.1 inHg different, that adds up to just over 0.01 difference in B.C. It's not a huge difference, but the errors can add up. I use a free barometer app on my iPhone and a Kestrel to get temp/humidity/pressure, within a few minutes of any recorded shot I intend to calculate the B.C. with. This is especially important if the temp is changing fast (early morning, late evening, etc).

Also, try and get as much spread as possible for your near/far distances. A bullet's B.C. varies with velocity, so the further apart you get readings, the better the "average" B.C. will be.

Be sure to set the furthest distance setting to something considerably further than you think you'll get a reading, as the LabRadar will stop a few yards past whatever you set V5 as. I can usually get at least a few readings past 100 yds with 0.243, 150 yds with 0.270, and 200 yds with 0.308. It varies with the bullet style of course.

So...my data.

0.284, 175 ELD-X, 7mm Rem Mag, 1:9.5 twist, quality atmospherics, near/far separation >100 yds. Average of 3 shots = 0.681. Surprisingly close to the 0.689 that Hornady quotes, despite being only recommended for 1:8.5 twist.

0.243, 103 ELD-X, 243 Win, 1:10 twist, quality atmospherics, near/far separation >100 yds. Average of 6 readings = 0.483. ~6% below Hornady's quoted 0.512, though not surprising, as they recommend a 1:8 twist.

0.243, 100 Sierra SPBT, 243 Win, 1:10 twist, quality atmospherics, near/far separation >100 yds. Average of 6 readings = 0.387. Surprisingly 8% lower than Sierra quotes for my velocity range.

0.277, 140 Nosler Accubond, 270 Win, 1:10 twist, quality atmospherics, near/far >100 yds. Average of 9 readings = 0.452. As is well documented, Nosler inflates their B.C., and my measurements are 9% lower than Nosler quotes. I will say though, I took these measurements over several months/conditions, and the Standard Deviation is only 0.005. The B.C. is inflated, but it's darn consistent.

0.277, 150 Nosler Accubond LR, 270 Win, 1:10 twist, quality atmospherics, near/far >100 yds. Average of 4 readings = 0.565. As above, inflated B.C. by 5%. Also very consistent like the AB. Too bad they shoot like crap in my rifle.

0.308, 208 ELD-M, 300 WM, 1:10 twist. Like an idiot, I never recorded these, as each time I calculated them, they were within ± 0.005 of the quoted B.C. of 0.690. I do wish I'd compiled the data though...

Anyway,
hope somebody finds this information useful, and hopefully you all can add your data to get a good reference going. Perhaps if there's enough data, I'll compile it into a PDF or Spreadsheet.

Just to be clear, hornady has two recommendations, the recommended twist for stability and there general BC info sheet on the website that generalizes Mach level and twist to recommended BC. This is like I've been saying on here, that it's apparent that BC is dependent at ELR based on SG. I'll see if I can find the link.

https://www.hornady.com/support/ballistic-coefficient

However it would be a sweet if there was collective data to verify the some of these numbers and to see if there are some generalized some trends in BC. Even if applied ballistics already kind of did this for their custom drags.

Just to be clear, hornady has two recommendations, the recommended twist for stability and there general BC info sheet on the website that generalizes Mach level and twist to recommended BC. This is like I've been saying on here, that it's apparent that BC is dependent at ELR based on SG. I'll see if I can find the link.

https://www.hornady.com/support/ballistic-coefficient

However it would be a sweet if there was collective data to verify the some of these numbers and to see if there are some generalized some trends in BC. Even if applied ballistics already kind of did this for their custom drags.
Yeah, as I mentioned in my post, the B.C. changes with velocity (e.g. Hornady and Sierra post multiple B.C.s). Since the LabRadar only reads out to a couple hundred yards at most, I figure most cartridges people would be using would still be in the Mach 2.25 category, and thus the highest B.C. All the loads I tested certainly were above 2600 fps.

It's worth remembering though, as I suppose tests of 300 BLK, 6.5 Grendel, etc. would fall below that threshold.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.