Jiu Jitsu

Doghunter23

I am admittedly a flat lander and have no idea what it takes for a high country backpack hunt, but I have been training BJJ for over a year and last bow season was the easiest deer season I have had in years it just improved my cardio, strength, and stamina. It was like I had a whole new level of hunting stamina.
It also helped my blood pressure and my heart palpitations went away completely.
At 37 years old I felt better than I did in my 20's, now hopefully I can keep it up without blowing out a knee or rupturing a disk... Going to the regular gym would probably work well but it's just so easy to get motivated about Rolling cause its just soo much fun.
Has anyone else had any luck with martial arts?

Love to roll, small college wrestler, then went to judo, then mma in the cage. Now I'm older, wiser and slower to heal so I limit myself to BJJ-grapling. It's an awesome total body workout!

Never tried BJJ, but played judo more than once. I think every night my gi would gain 5 pounds. The only other time I was in as good of shape was when I was doing cross-fit 5 days a week. But in both you have to be very careful about injuries. I didn't get as many lasting injuries from aikido or TKD, combined, as I did from judo.

Never tried BJJ, but played judo more than once. I think every night my gi would gain 5 pounds. The only other time I was in as good of shape was when I was doing cross-fit 5 days a week. But in both you have to be very careful about injuries. I didn't get as many lasting injuries from aikido or TKD, combined, as I did from judo.
Yeah, I honestly avoid BJJ when it's close to hunting or anything I can't afford to be less than 100% for.

Boxer here. Boxing got me in insane shape. I kind of wish I was back down at my fighting weight of 165. I walk around at 200 now. There is a huge trade off when you switch from fighting sports to weight lifting. But keep it up OP! Nothing like being your own weapon.

You shouldnt have much problem with the mountains, except possible altitude sickness, which can hit anyone. Years ago, my doctor told me to start taking vitamin B a couple weeks before going above 12,000 ft. It seems to help

Any regular exercise is going to help. Martial arts is one great way to exercise. Just like has been mentioned here already, I also need a motivation to exercise! Go for a jog??!!...not gonna happen. Practice power-doubles, get punched in the face and choke a dude out?? Let me clear my schedule..,, lol. Combative sports is especially good mentally. I've always said, "it does a man good to get punched in the face now and then"... it makes you push through some pain.
... wrestler here, dabbled in a few other things too... ;)

Never know when the RUM is going to run out of ammo...

<iframe width="900" height="506" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.