IOR 3-18 x 42 Scope

have these problems been worked out on the gen IV's? i almost bought a used one the other day, but i still think its the right scope for my intended use and my budget. ive heard the customer service/warranty has gotten better too. can anyone attest to that?

I'd prefer the Leupold M5 MIL/MIL FFP over other scopes in it's price range (and even over some that are more expensive).

Jon A,

I'm not familiar with the Premier. Is Premier the brand name, or is that a Model designation. Could you post a little more info or a web link so I can check this scope out further? I'm in scope shopping mode also. Thanks.

This is an older thread....but I would recommend looking at the Premier Heritage...whether the 3-15 or the 5-25X. I own scopes from Nikon. Weaver, Leupold, Sigtron, NightForce and Premier. I recently owned an IOR 6-24X
Gen 3 scope. I would say the Premier has the best glass I've experienced besides the IOR / Zeiss

Wayne

but I would recommend looking at the Premier Heritage...whether the 3-15 or the 5-25X. I own scopes from Nikon. Weaver, Leupold, Sigtron, NightForce and Premier. I recently owned an IOR 6-24X
Gen 3 scope. I would say the Premier has the best glass I've experienced besides the IOR / Zeiss

Wayne

+1 Premier is definitely a great way to go. I recommend the Leupold M5 for those who don't have the coin for the Premier.

+1 Premier is definitely a great way to go. I recommend the Leupold M5 for those who don't have the coin for the Premier.

I would recommend what Mike has to recommend....He gets to test and handle the best of what's out there!!!

Wayne

P.S.

Thanks...Mike...For the vidoes and reviews you post out in the web world!!

The IOR 3-18x42mm scope will handle the .338 Lapua, but only on an unbraked Lapua. Place a muzzle brake on the .388 Edge or Lapua and the guts of the scope will crap out. Experienced that with two IOR scopes so far. They worked fine on a 300 Win Mag until I installed a muzzle brake. Same thing with my .338 Edge. Then the scope died in relatively short order. They don't seem to be constructed to handle the deceleration caused by the use of an effective muzzle brake.

That's been my experience with the IORs, and other have posted similar experiences.

have these problems been worked out on the gen IV's? i almost bought a used one the other day, but i still think its the right scope for my intended use and my budget. ive heard the customer service/warranty has gotten better too. can anyone attest to that?
They say the latest gen IV's are good, but I still find it hard to recommend them without first seeing for sure on my own rifle.

That said, I do know for a fact the new 3.5-18X50 and 6-24X56 were tested extensively on braked 338 Lapuas long before being sold to customers. Had they done that with the original, the whole ordeal could have been avoided. As far as I know not a single one has broke yet, so they're probably safer bets. I haven't put one on my 300 though but not for that reason--just because I wanted a lighter scope to hunt with this year. I must say, I do really like the upgrades to the 3-18:

PICT0038.JPG

The 50mm objective makes it much better in low light. The illuminated reticle makes seeing it a non-issue. The new eyepiece give much better eye relief. I'm not too excited about the secondary pointers on the knobs and the zero stop design, but they're there and they work.

Resolution testing side by side with the Premier 3-15 was a tie on 15X, and of course the IOR wins when cranked up to 18X. The Premier has a slight edge perceived brightness in low light, mainly due to the tone of the coatings though it's pretty close.

Reticle straightness, click value, etc, are perfect as closely as I can measure.

All in all, it's one heck of a scope for the money. If it just wasn't 38 oz (basically identical to the Premeir) I would have hunted with it this year without hesitation. There's nothing you can't do well with this scope.

I'd prefer the Leupold M5 MIL/MIL FFP over other scopes in it's price range (and even over some that are more expensive).

why is that? imo the reticle in the IORs is better and the IOR glass kicks ***.

and jon a- im not worried about how it performs on braked 338. it will go on a .308 for long range targets and hunting. so far, it seems to be the best ffp mil/mil buy i can find, i just dont want it to crap out on me. from what ive read it seems to be a lot better scope than the comparable leupold er/t. you you done any reviews on that scope? ive read some of your reviews before and they are very detailed and helpful, thanks

Last edited:
Thanks Jon that was a pretty good read. I still think it's too bad those SH IOR's didn't work out, for the money they would have been the best thing going.

I've done some scope swapping around and I've decided as a public service to you all, I shall test the 3.5-18X50's durability. I have mounted it on "The Original IOR Buster," the same rifle that broke three of the 3-18X42's and will use it there until my March gets here.

PICT0045.JPG

PICT0048.JPG

PICT0080.JPG

I'm shooting 240's at around 3000 fps and will be testing more 260's so if it can't handle recoil I'll find that out quickly.

While heavier than I like for a carry rifle, it sure is nice to use at the range--all that weight soaks up some recoil. ;)

The first group shot with it on this rifle was .25" which is the best group this rifle has shot with the new barrel so far. Of course I think that has more to do with the barrel finally being broken in and clean for once...though it does seem the best groups I shoot with this rifle always seem to come when there's a big IOR on top. Probably largely coincidence but there's just something about that floating dot I find really easy to shoot groups with:

PICT0088.JPG

If it turns to mush, I'll let you all know.

Hope this newer IOR scope survives. Following in your footpath, I had two 3-18x42s puke their guts. One on a 300 Win Mag. One on a 338 Edge. Both braked rifles. The scope on the 300 Win Mag lasted a lot longer than the one on the 338 Edge. I didn't even get 30 shots down the bore of the Edge before that scope was toast. The one on the 300 Win Mag died a longer slower death, which is almost worse than one coming undone all at once. It took quite a bit of time, effort, and ammo, and an errant shot on some game before I finally confirmed the scope was shifting its zero point. Not enough to be obvious with a single shot. But enough over periods of time to become a real pain in the rear. I finally bailed for lighter scopes for my carry rifles, which don't come unglued. At least not so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.