Info on hunting Baggs Wyoming, NW Colorado are area?

Boatninja

First Mule deer hunt and first trip up north, next week any info or suggestions welcome.
Been hunting the South Texas Brush country for trophy White tails, I know it's a different ballgame, not planning on long shooting.Will be shooting management class deer.
Tips, Tricks, watering holes, things to see? Any and all info welcome!

Last edited:
Hope you hunting in Colorado as the only season open around Baggs on the Wyoming side that I know of is cow elk.
Anyways the mule deer around Baggs and northern Colorado is in a bad way. This year was better than last but still not anywhere near healthy population.

Ain't a whole lot to see in Baggs with the museum closed for the season. The Drifters(or whatever it's called now) is about the only spot in town to eat or water at.....
Agreed. We pass through on our way to Craig and there's not much there. You may want to stop in Craig and look around (western museum?) on the way up to Baggs.

Hope you hunting in Colorado as the only season open around Baggs on the Wyoming side that I know of is cow elk.
Anyways the mule deer around Baggs and northern Colorado is in a bad way. This year was better than last but still not anywhere near healthy population.
Yes, camp is on private land, hunting in Colorado. Baggs is the closest bump in the road. Going with people that go every year but my first time, also I'm a bit more adventuresome than the others. It is also twice as far north as I've ever been.

If your hunting private you should avoid some of the craziness that takes place up there. Deer numbers aren't what they were but there are still a ton of deer in those units. The Cowboy inn serves a decent burger if you guys go into Baggs. Couple good places to eat in Craig if you decide to venture into the big city.

I hunted unit 5 last year.
As has been said earlier, there are a lot of deer in there. No snow last year so mostly smaller bucks were running around.
The rut was on and it was an entertaining hunt.
You should have a good time.

This buck was shot south of Baggs and about half way to Craig. Private land during drought year. No monster but deer numbers were down and bucks were hard to come by.

Attachments

• 23498081-6219-4891-99FF-42E2EE71B0D4.jpeg
    23498081-6219-4891-99FF-42E2EE71B0D4.jpeg
    772.8 KB · Views: 38