IMR 4064 Temp Stability

Dalead

Just picked up some 4064 for my swift. It's not listed as an extreme powder so just wondering what you have seen as far as temp stability. TIA

I have used 4064 in my swift for decades and my father used it before me. It seems to be very well suited for 50-55 grain bullets. It is somewhat temperature sensitive. I don't work up a maximum load in the winter and expect it to work in the summer. I always keep my ammo shaded while out prairie dog shooting. When it gets above 90 I don't trust any max loads.

Just picked up some 4064 for my swift. It's not listed as an extreme powder so just wondering what you have seen as far as temp stability. TIA
IMR 4064 used to be my go to powder in my PSS 308 Win. I didn't have a chrono when I first started loading over thirty years ago. So I looked for a low to mid range load. Fast forward to just last year and I worked up a 168 ELDM load. I hit max velocities with a mid range load. This was during the fall so I stopped right there. I'd suggest looking for an accurate load in the low to mid range and retest again in the summer. I don't find IMR4064 to be extremely temp sensitive, but like you said it's not an extreme powder. I hope that helps.

Op, in those extremes of Winter Kansas coyote hunting, Varget with the 50-55g is going to be a hands-down winner with cci 200s. If you can not touch the lands in your barrel, go to a 63g Sierra which shoots superbly in a 14 twist, and use H4350.

As the leade gets long, trying to stick with the 55's, the Sierra 55g BTHP shot and killed extremely well with this bullet still shooting well with some jump to the lands. As accuracy started to wane with the Sierra 55g bthp, I went to the 63g Sierra and got another 800 rounds out of the barrel.

4064 is darn rough on barrels and Varget will be at least as bad. Before a gunsmith in San Diego told me about 2700 in his swift, we had gone to Win 760 and H414 with great results, but 2700 burns cooler than 760.

The 62g and 65g sierra will NOT stabilize in a 14 twist, even at Swift speeds.

I appreciate all of the replies! I have some reloder 16 and have heard of guys using it with success. Anybody else try it with the 50-55 grain bullets?
Sierra list Reloader 16 for their 52 to 55 grain projectiles in the Swift using Win Brass and WLR primers.
Start load 36.5 grains
MAX LOAD 40.7 grains

It'll be fine. It's not a temp insensitive powder but the sensitivity it does have is nothing remarkable. It was also the only powder the .220 swift I worked with a few years back would shoot well with. 55 grain flat base of some kind with 4064. All other combos need not apply 🤣

No really it's the same as any of the other old school single base extruded imr powders like 4895, 4350, 4831, 7828. They are affected by temp a good bit more than hodgdon extreme powders but a hell of a lot less than, say, reloader 22. The difference in sensitivity between them and some of the Alliant double base powders on one side is greater than the difference between them and the hodgdon extreme powders on the other.