Hunting rifle accuracy

I wouldn't totally say 1 inch for 3 shots at 100 yards is to horrible, especially if your only looking to shoot 500 yards. On the other hand, my 300 RUM is a Rem LSS and it has gave me some impressive groups and the only work done to it is a trigger job, and glass bedded. It has shot a couple 3.5" and 4" groups at 800 yards. Not to bad for a factory rifle in my opinion.

Hello Sam , I just recently bought a browning A bolt, 300wsm ,stainless stalker with the boss. I installed a shepherd scope and sighted in with handloads, 180 grains partitions. At 300 yards my groups are 1 inch hitting dead on.This rifle is sweet.

I bought a new in the box mod 70 .25 wssm. for whiteail and other small game. On my first trip to the range I brought some win factory loads 100gr supreme. When I fired them the bolt was difficult to lift the handle but I continued to zero the scope and the shoot some groups. This gun shot worst than any gun I have ever fired. 4 inches at 100 yards was the best group. so I checked the scope cleaned the gun and tried again another day the results were tyhe same. I could not belive my results so I took the gun to my gunsmith and had him remount the scope and then took the gun to a local guy that makes realy good custom ammo and left it with him to work up a load, after a few days He called me and said to come pick up my rifle that he could not make it shoot. I called winchester and the service people treated me like I was a idoit and were no help. Just told me to send them the rifle.
I talked to my gunsmith he said that in his experince that they would send the gun back and say there was nothing wrong with it. I belive him after my conservation.
I'm stuck with a gun that I can't feal good about selling so I guese I'll let Kevin Weaver rebarrel and square my action.

The results

Kevin Weaver just finshed rebarreling the action in 223 wssn, with a 26" 1-14 #2 fluted by Panor. We are still in the barrel breakin and load development stage. It just fired a 4 shot group with 40gr Nosler BTs over 46grs of Varget at 4406 fps into a 3/8 inch goup at 100yd.
We are going to work up the 52 TSX for whittail after we are satisfied with the coyote loads.
It should only shoot better as the barrel shoots in.

A good outcome But verey EXPENSIVE. $720 pluse what ever I paid forthe Mod 70. I think I could have bought a Cooper or Kimber for less.

See Pics of gun and Target on Kevins Web page. under index of Photos "Baylor Jewell"

WEAVER RIFLES
16850 SAGE CREEK ROAD
PEYTON, COLO. 80831
719-683-3024
[email protected]
http://www.weaverrifles.com/

Its unfortunate you got a bad barrel probly. Winchesters factory barrels are suppose to be junk. My 25-06 on the other hand has shot some really impressive groups. You would not expect it to come from a factory rifle, put it that way. With that said, you probly still have a lot more accurate/consistent rifle since it was rebarreled then you woulda got with a Kimber or Cooper. Thats just my opinion though. 3/8" with 40g's at 4400fps is quitea yote buster, but let me tell you that if you dont hit them square, you will have them running off. This is from experience. My 220 swift shoots one of my 40g Btip loads at 4400fps and they have knocked more than a few dead, but its got to be a solit hit is all I'm saying. The 55g at 3900fps is a lot better bullet for these size cases. Thats my favorite yote bullet out of my Swift anyways.

I looked, I saw, said "Sweet" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Let us know how that 40 gr works out on yote.

Personally I don't think you'll enjoy using it. After the pics of rifle and target, you flat have no excuses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good huntin'

I like tikka and sako. Just one of the important plus"s is the mounting system. If you use the warne rings you just can't go wrong. You eliminate the mount all together. If you tighten the screws in order to bring the tension down evenly you will not have any problems. I know 6 people that own tikka's plus myself and thay all shoot below 1 inch. I also own 2 sakos that have been rebarred by krieger and the cost of fitting the barrel to the action was real reasonable due to the fact that they don't have to do much with the action it's self, it is pretty true as it is. Just a little tid bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.