Hunting Opportunities in Texas

SilentSquall

I am in the Air Force and about to be stationed in central Texas near Abilene. Are there any good places to hunt nearby and what kind of game is around to hunt? Or would I need to travel further west or north for some good hunting? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

I just left Dyess. In my experience, Texas is ok for hunting, but you gotta pay for it. It's unlike anywhere else I've lived with its lack of public land. Dove around there is outstanding, PM me for a dove guide that did me right last year for a reasonable price. There are lots of high fenced operations with monster bucks down in the hill country (2-4 hour drive) if that's your cup of tea. There are hogs everywhere (my dog chased one in our backyard), but again, the price to hunt them is IMO high considering the land damage they do. Camp Bowie is an Army camp down in Brownwood, TX (about 2 hours). They've got free deer hunts for DoD there, though I think it's mostly doe culls as a herd management tool. If I had to do it over again, I'd forget hunting Texas, and make an annual trip to NM, CO, KS, etc and hunt there instead of fooling with Texas. I did a DIY antelope hunt in WY, and personally that was much more satisfying than a high fenced whitetail hunt ever could have been. A lot of guys in Texas hunt coyotes and bobcats. You can get land access pretty easily if you knock on enough doors, and they're a year round/day and night target.

Last edited:
Nomad is pretty accurate on Texas hunting. I am no fan of High fence hunting either. I have hunted the King Ranch and will say that what I have seen there is worlds better than anywhere else in Texas, but it is pricey. Bird hunting such as Dove is a ritual in Texas and lots of fun. I would take him up on the guide info. Spring Turkey hunting will be good out your way too. Also if you like Goose hunting then the Knox City area is a must do. There are guide operations there that have guides that follow the geese from Canada down. The Dalhart area also has goose hunting. Not to forget the Houston area for Goose hunting also. Remember most all land here is privately owned so hunting is a major money maker for the ranchers.
Welcome to Texas and I wish you the best of luck finding a good hunt. If I can help please feel free to message me.
Sincerely,

Just watched a Predaor hunting show that was filmed in Uvalde TX. It looked like a "high fence" property, or was on the outside of a high fence? I would drive the 26 hours to Coyote hunt down there, but couldn't justify paying to shoot predators? If the land owners are making money on the deer herd, I would help them by removing fawn killers, and maybe a Bobcat? Any Texans looking to cull some Predators....I'm game? Local motel, or land to do some Truck camping is all I need?gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.