hunt/camp friendly properties in montana

ILtoMT50

**Missouri River area, Geraldine, Winnett, Lewistown**
I was wondering if there was a list of land owners that were ok with camping/hunting on their property. I had done some research on the Geraldine area and came up empty. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I wont be out till next season but a friend of mine that lives in the Columbia Falls area and is somewhat new to hunting Montana is looking for options for this season.
My main reason for hunting Montana is my Great Grandfather was born in Winnett then moved to Lewistown in his late teens before eventually meeting up with Great Grandma and settling down in St Louis. Id like to hunt the Winnett and Lewistown areas myself as he did many years ago so any info for those areas would be awesome too. **We would be respectful of you and the land and clean our area up** feel free to send me a email at [email protected]

Thanks
Bruce

Many ranchers are hard at it right now putting up hay. I know some that sleep in their trucks for a few hrs waiting for the dew to come on so they bale all night. Plus there is always fences that need fixed or weeds that need sprayed in places a truck or 4 wheeler will not go. Maybe if you guys offered some help in trade it would pay off.

Just a thought.

Jeff

id be more than happy to help fix a fence or whatnot in the back country but I do live in central Illinois so my help would definitely be limited on when id be out there hunting etc. same thing goes for my friend with work and family etc. im not sure how all that would workout for us.....just don't want my hunting trip to turn into a working trip(hope that doesn't come across the wrong way) like you said if a fence needs mended on the way up or whatever thatd totally be doable if nothing else id be happy to pay a lil money for access. if you know any of these guys do you have contact info for them you could pass on to me or give them my email?

Thanks
Bruce

Lots of BLM and state ground that requires no permission but anybody can camp/hunt there so prime spots can often have many hunters in the same area. Call the game warden or the FWP biologist for the area you desire to hunt and they can often help you find the right areas or even the right ranch if you are willing to harvest does. Many times a rancher/farmer is more willing to let a meat hunter have access than a trophy hunter. If you can show him that you can hunt and won't tear things up by harvesting a meat deer or two (where legal and with proper tags) you can often get permission to take a buck.

Jay

If I were you, I would call the MT FWP Region 7 office in Miles City at 406-234-0900 and ask for them to send you a Block Management book. There are several million acres enrolled in that program that allow hunters access to private ranches to hunt in this region alone. There's a lot of state and federal lands in the area that you mentioned that shouldn't be a problem hunting as well.

thank you, would that block managment book be for the whole state or would i need to call each sepretly for different books ?

thank you! any and all info helps a ton lol not living in the area sucks but I guess that's what a lot of the guys that come deer hunt the Midwest have to deal with too.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.