Howdy from central Texas

ZK315

Hello, my name is Zach, and have grown up in central Texas hunting since I was just a little squirt. Started hunting whitetail and shot my first doe at 6 years old. Hunted squirrels, coons, ringtails, and rabbits with my dad and grandad. 99% of my hunting is whitetail and hogs and I'm slowly building up my "trophy room". Although I'm just a working man, I'm sure its not nearly as nice as a lot on here.

I grew up on a Ruger 22-250, and when my grandfather passed a few years back, he passed down to me his Remington 700 BDL 30-06. I got my wife into hunting last year and picked up a Remington 700 bdl 22-250 for her.

I just recently got the bug for long range after shooting an extended family member's custom .243. The farthest I've ever shot before this time was probably only 150 yards. He was gearing up for an aoudad hunt and was double checking his dope out to 400 and asked if I wanted to shoot. Umm never been that far, but sure! Wham, first shot. And then the bug started...The ole' -06 needed a scope pretty bad, and the research started. I ended up picking up a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP MRAD and fell in love. Sure, its not the best scope out there, but a better one will come with my build I have going on now. :)

A buddy took me out to a 1000 yard range fairly close to home, and I decided to see what this tactical scope was all about. Started at 100 to zero the 30-06, moved to 250, then to 500, then 750. This was my first time to shoot past the 400 yards with my family member, and all I can say it's a blast!

A little about my build that I'm just now starting...I kept waffling about the caliber and it was hard to build just 1 gun with everything I was wanting it to do. I wanted it to be my go-to hunting rifle, something I could shoot 1000 yards fairly easily with less kick than my 30-06 (which my 30-06 doesn't bother me at all, but I don't want to shoot it all day long at steel), and something that hopefully I could hunt elk with. A family member showed me some of his guns and I decided on building a 7 WSM based on a Rem 700 action. A lot of people have asked me why? and I just say I've seen what it can do, and I can, that's why. I guess a little stubbornness came out lol.
I just want my 30-06 to become my back up gun and want to put it back in the safe and eventually pass it down to a kid or a grandkid. Its a beautiful gun, shoots great and I just want to keep it nice and pretty to pass down since it has sentimental value.

Sorry for the book, but that's me in a nutshell. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.