how to use Zeiss rapid-z 800 for 1000 yards

dmax1800

I have a Zeiss scope with a rapid-z 800 reticle. Does anyone know how to figure out how to adjust the scope, probably the verticle, to use the hash marks for 1000 yards? I've tried using Zeiss's online ballistic calculator -- Zeiss Ballistic Calculator -, but it doesn't work to get a reading for 1000 yards with the bottom hash mark.

I have the mobile app. Set your zero for 400 yds. Adjust the magnification to get the lowest hash mark to read 1000 yds. The software will tell you how high your shot should be at 100 yds.

What caliber and load do you have?

I have the mobile app. Set your zero for 400 yds. Adjust the magnification to get the lowest hash mark to read 1000 yds. The software will tell you how high your shot should be at 100 yds.

What caliber and load do you have?

I did as you suggested and it worked. Had to go down to 10x, but the bottom hash mark read "1000". For shooting at 1000 yards, 10x isn't going to be very good. It will be hard to see a target. The scope is 4.5-14 and 14x is going to be hard enough to see the target, much less 10x. Any suggestions for a scope better suited for 1000 yards? I'm debating with myself on getting a rifle for targets and practice at 1000 yards. Maybe a 308 win.

I'm shooting a 300 win mag. For the calculator, I used 180 gr Nosler accubond at 3060 fps.

What is your budget? I take it the 300 WM is not strictly for targets. If so, what type of hunting? Which Zeiss scope do you have now?

bruce,
I would like to get a scope for $1000, but I don't know if that is feasible (or laughable). The 300 WM is for elk and maybe moose and bison. It has a Hart barrel, McMillan stock and a muscle brake. I hate to put 200 to 300 rounds thru it at a long range shooting school and use up 20% to 30% of the barrels life just for a shooting school. My current Zeiss scope on the 300 is a Conquest 4.5-14x50 with a rapid-z 800 reticle.

I've got a few minutes here and there, so I'll respond in a few posts. Your plan to use a .308 for learning/training is a good idea. I don't know of many shooting schools that teach long shooting with a BDC reticle. They either teach dialing elevation and milling reticles, or perhaps Horus reticles. Check into that with your school.

I'm not a big fan variable spacing BDC reticles a for shooting over about 600 yds. Even though the Zeiss reticles are subtended up to 800 or 1,000 yds, they tend not to be accurate at all ranges for most cartridges. The Rapid-Z reticles are better than most though. I think they work well or ranges up to about 500 yds. The Nightforce, Burris E1, and Meopta reticles are also great in this application. The rapid-Z reticle is a good choice for your 300 WM hunting rifle, for example.

I'll get back to you shortly about scopes for the .308.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.