how to remove jammed cartridges from chamber?

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Chawlston when he said that neck sized handloads need to have the shoulder bumped back, AND the less you resize a case - the less it will stretch, AND the less they stretch the longer your brass will last.

However, I have also seen neck sized cases (bumped back) that would not chamber due to vertical compression causing the pressure ring to expand. This happens because the pressure ring is thinner brass, and even the slightest downward pressure from dies can bulge this area very slightly. On neck sized cases it only takes an extra thousandth of an inch.

Another example of vertical compression is when you neck size thin necked calibers (like the 30-30), even the case neck can buckle enough to make handloads jam - just by adding a slight crimp. Anyway ... when you FL resize a case and you can feel your press working hard. This resistance comes as the pressure ring is being compressed on a tapered case.

All I'm suggesting is to keep an eye on the pressure ring. It's "something else" to look at. Make sure your handloads will chamber, especially when hunting dangerous game. Keep in mind that neck sized cases are far more likely to jam with just a single grain of sand in your chamber. Not every shooter is shooting from the bench under ideal conditions.

- Innovative

[/ QUOTE ]

If you bump the shoulder and they won't chamber when you test them prior to priming and powdering them, then bump them a little more.

James

My friend did get the stuck case out of his 270. He bought a soft steel .25" rod longer than the barrel. The thought was that it would be less likely to hurt the rifling as compared to using a cleaning rod of much smaller diameter. He put a slight radius on the edge of one end to protect the barrel. He sprayed a penetrating oil down the barrel and let it sit muzzle up for several days. He greased the rod, then carefully slid it through the muzzle down until it stopped on the bullet tip. He then used a hammer to strike the end of the rod with increasing power until it came out. He tried to keep the rod centered in the muzzle to keep from damaging the crown. It took several blows. He thinks the barrel is unharmed. Thanks for all the advice guys. Y'all are a great help!
Paul

I need to add a couple of extra steps that my friend did to get his shell out that I failed to put in my last reply:
1) he first pushed the bullet back into the stuck case with his prepared rod, after it had been sitting for several days with the penetrating oil sprayed down the barrel
2) the rod was then removed and a large amount of oil was sprayed down the barrel inorder to make the powder and primer inert
3) after a spell to allow the oil to soak into the powder, he heated the chamber area with a hand propane torch until it was very warm, but not hot, to the touch
4) he immediately then sprayed the base of the case that was protruding with a freezing spray he bought at a pharmacy
5) the cartridge was then tapped out with his rod.
The case was really stuck tight because a professionally trained gunsmith told my buddy to hammer the bolt closed with a 2X4 and then shoot the rifle. This was attempted first thing before I posted this question and prior to his doing anything else. The bolt could not be hammered shut.

By the way, my friend is LesterCole that asked a question on the Basics thread. When he found that the word "when" is not spelled "whin" he was too embarrasted to ask any more questions. He figures that y'all think that he is too stupid to answer any of his questions. I think so, but I'm just trying to help the poor guy out. We have been friends but only about 35 years. I've been trying to educate the old boy for all that time. I guess it is just my "lot in life".

What do y'all think of his method? He and I will appreciate your thoughts.
Paul

[ QUOTE ]
SNIP

The case was really stuck tight because a professionally trained gunsmith told my buddy to hammer the bolt closed with a 2X4 and then shoot the rifle.

SNIP

[/ QUOTE ]

SHOOT THE RIFLE!! Without knowing what is wrong? Are they nuts? What if it is the wrong size bullet....what the heck, just smash the bolt closed....notice the gunsmith didn't offer to do this, what did he say " leave the gunshop and go a few hundred yards down the the road and try it"~!

Hmmmmm... IMO, don't use that gunsmith anymore!

edge.

I would not use that smith any more myself!

When I asked about opinions, I was asking about my friend's method that he used as I described in my two posts above. Thanks.
Paul

Tell your friend that some of us who have a truck load of education can't spell and worse yet, none of that education prevents us from doing just what he did.

The one thing I would not do is take a torch to a gun that had flammable fluid in it because I would probably burn my garage down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Maybe use a paint stripper heat gun or his wifes hair dryer gun (only if she is not at home).

Would the propane torch on the barrel and receiver effect the metal's tempering and thus its strength?

My friend's idea was to heat the chamber slightly so that it would expand. He thought that it would make the case easier to remove. He said that he only heated it to the point that it was very warm to touch, but was touchable. He thought that the metal would not be affected because barrels get hotter when fired repeatedly on the range. He sprayed the freezing compound on the case to make it contract. He said he was careful not to get it too hot.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts