Hornady V-Max Inconsistencies- Is this normal ???

robbobsam

I bought 100 Hornady 58 grain v-max bullet heads yesterday and before I started to make loads up with them I got the micrometer and scales out to do some measuring.

What I found surprised me.

The bullet heads varied by up to 10 thou in length and by up to .5grains in weight.

Is this normal ???

I compared this to the Nosler ballistic tips and they were a lot more consistent, the nosler were within 3 thou of each other in overall length and within .2 of a grain.

Am I being over picky ???
dry.gif

The variance you are getting is in the length of the plastic tip. This isn't the crucial measurement you are looking for. What you want to measure is base to ogive which is the leading bearing surface of the bullet that makes initial contact with the grooves and lands. The weight variance is normal. They are not going to be perfect in anyway shape or form. Some companies can be a little closer. I did however cut a .233" group from prone position with 110 V-max for my .308. They are very accurate bullets. To ensure accurate measuring of OAL, you should purchase a comparator which measures from the base of the casing to the ogive of the bullet.

Tank

hornady is not nearly as good as they used to bwe. 55 gr. .224 v-max vary up to 2 tho. measured with comparator, and up to .75 gr. in wt. sierra is best, and nosler a close second. Dam hard to keep OAL consistant with v-max, so just have to settle for "pretty good" groups is you want to keep using v-max.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.