Hodgdon Hybrid 100V

ksubuck

Has anyone worked with this powder yet? Was at LGS and they were pimping it hard today saying it is giving super velocities on anything from 243 Win to 338 Lapua Mag. Claim 150fps increases with no pressure signs. Also say it meters great and is very temperature insensitive. Sounds to me like they read the advertising word for word.

Any input is appreciated.

Has anyone worked with this powder yet? Was at LGS and they were pimping it hard today saying it is giving super velocities on anything from 243 Win to 338 Lapua Mag. Claim 150fps increases with no pressure signs. Also say it meters great and is very temperature insensitive. Sounds to me like they read the advertising word for word.

Any input is appreciated.

Use the custom search on the top right corner. There were 72 results when I did it.

Tried that. came up with 158 threads. None really gave me much info. Several topics went unanswered. Thought maybe someone would have some new insight or opinion on whether it would be worth it to investigate this newer powder. Maybe stimulate some more discussion.

Almost pulled the trigger and bought some. Many good things have been said about it and 300wsm.
But no personal experience yet I have too many other powders to try first.

I am using it in my 243 AI. It is working well for me in that cartridge. My hunting/fireforming load is 41gr of H100V over a CCI 200 primer and Berger 95gr VLD. I have been working up enough brass to have sufficient for a sizeable batch that I can use to develop my load for the 105gr Berger.

So far my fireforming load is running a (calculated from drops) 3200fps out of a 26" Shilen 1:8 twist varmint barrel. I have yet to miss a coyote since I started using this barrel/chamber/load. Typical group is 1/2" at 100 yards with very little effort having gone into the load development.

I am considering using it in my 6.5x284 but I also have Accurate 4350 and have started with that. I also have Superformance, but there is little data to work from with that powder.

Tried that. came up with 158 threads. None really gave me much info. Several topics went unanswered. Thought maybe someone would have some new insight or opinion on whether it would be worth it to investigate this newer powder. Maybe stimulate some more discussion.

Maybe this helps or perhaps you can contact him if he had done any further load development with it (extracted from #8 of http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/hybrid-100v-280-ackley-imp-67329/index2.html).

UPDATE! well i have had some time and have been shooting my new 280ai and have had some questions. I have loaded retumbo, h4831sc and hybrid 100v. I thought i was going to get more velocity out of the h4831sc and the retumbo but not as much as i wanted. the real suprise was the hybrid 100v. I have a sako 75 LH in a Mcmillan sako 75 stock with a 25" benchmark 3 groove 1:9 twist. Im using new nosler brass, cci BR primers, and 168gr berger hunting vld's. so here are the max loads i tested and what i found:
Retumbo:
started at 61gr
63gr 2800fps
64gr 2840 slightly flattened primers but bearly noticable
H4831sc
started at 54gr
59gr 2768 fps no pressure (this is a max load for 160gr accubonds in the nosler data and they say this gets 2990fps)
60gr 2790 fps bearly see any flattening at all of the primer
61 gr 2835 fps little flatter but nothing alarming

With both of these powders i thought i would be getting 50-100fps more? i have a 25" #5 contour so its not a barrel lenght issue, so what gives?

then i just tried some hybrid 100v since its loaded in the 280 rem and the pressures were low with good velocity so i thought i would strart low and see what happened.
Hybrid 100v
started at 51 gr sinve thats the max load for the 280 rem and the pressure as stated was low.
worked up in 0.5gr increments and didnt see any pressure
57gr 2966 fps
57.5gr 2972 fps
58gr 3014 fps (primers started to show slight signs of pressure, nothing alarming)
58.5gr 3042 fps flatter primers
59gr 3064 fps hot load flat primers this is too much for me to want to load.

I wanted to use an extreme powder for the temp sensitive but i just am not getting the velocity with them as i am with the hybrid 100v. Am i doing something wrong here? any tips or suggestions would be good. I know i could use a magnum primer but i have 3k benchrest primers so i really dont want to buy any more.

Good luck!

I figured not too interested in the 243. So what if the extra speed gets to the next accuracy node. Might stretch my effective range out a few yards...

But if I could get to the next node with my 7mm RM, 300 WM, or 325 WSM, might be worth looking at. But I am skeptical that it really produces enough fps to get to the next node, especially with heavy for caliber bullets.

A "free" 100-200fps is always welcome. Take a look at the powder burn rate chart. If falls slower than 4350 and faster than 4831. That alone may mean it is not a magnum or ultra magnum powder. On the other hand, for the intermediate overbore cartridges, it is not a bad thing at all.

With the 6.5-284 it offers about 200fps more than H4350, H1000 or H4831 on 140-142gr bullets

With a 7mm RM it offers no advantage with a 180 Berger, there Reumbo is the best for velocity

When it is the only powder you can buy that is suitable for a particular cartridge due to market forces, that is quite a powerful argument in its favor too. When I got mine it was $150/8lb. Can't get that today...

I just started using H100V in 257 Roberts and I'm getting just a hair over 3000 fps with 115 gr Nos BT over 45 gr in a 24" barrel. That's about 200 fps higher than the next powder in line velocity-wise. 46 gr pushes 3100 fps, but was showing some cratered primers. Data is from the Hodgdon web site. The only deviation is I used CCI 200 primers instead of Rem 9 1/2. 46 gr is max load. Not quite 25-06 velocity, but close. :)

I haven't shot for accuracy yet, but I hopefully will this weekend. It is supposed to be somewhat temperature sensitive though. Not as bad as H414, but no where near as stable as H4350, etc.

Matt

I kinda figured it sounded too good to be true. Maybe a good driving powder for a variety of cartridges. I already use IMR 4350 in that way. When I find it, I buy lots to have on hand cause I have loads worked up in almost all of my rifles.

Sounds like the 100V shines in 6mm, quarterbores and 6.5s?, but pretty average in the larger calibers?

I've had really good luck with the 95 berger classic hunter and 100v in my 6mm ackley. I'm running them a little hot and may still back off some but the accuracy is outstanding. 46 grains out of a 22 inch barrel and cci 200 is giving me 3300 fps and .550 inch groups at 300 yards. This is definitely a max load.

My friend is shooting a 243 win with the same bullet and 44 grains of 100v with the same length barrel and getting 3175fps.

As for the temperature stability i realize it isn't an extreme powder and i have seen some temperment. When shooting the 6mm ackley at 10 degrees i was able to use 47 grains with just a hint of pressure but once i was able to shoot them at 65 degrees the pressure was out of hand with extremely hard bolt lift and flat cratered primers.

My current load is fast and accurate but the bolt lift is still more than what i want and will probably back down another half grain and try.

all in all i love this powder

I've been using this in my 6.5x284 for about 3 years now. It produced the most velocity out of the 3 that I tried...4350 slowest, 4831 little faster, and the hybrid 100V was the fastest but during the summer shooting I am going to have to change the load down due to pressure issue. I have not developed a summer load for this gun yet. But with any over bore cartridges including this one, I seen retumbo actually produce 100fps faster in this gun. I just haven't wanted to switch to retumbo since I have 8 pounds of the 100V. no need to re-invent the wheel when I have a good load already. +1 for westcliff post. I have a 7mm mag and retumbo is the best I have found for the most velocity. I and I know its hard to come by right now as well.

I bought a bunch of it to shoot in my 243. Shot over 100 rounds through it and never could get anything consistent. Went back to 4350 and found a tack driving load in 10 shots.

I use H100V exclusively in my 270 Win with almost impossible results and no pressure issues on 140 and 150 grain bullets. 3030 on 140s and 2900 for 150s. More incredible is the SD...which is rarely more the 15 fps. I do use F215 primers. Going with me on ibex hunt in the fall, bang flop coming....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts