• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

High Priced Guns Stolen near Columbus Ohio, Beware!!!!

jam66

TRAVELING HUNTERS BEWARE!!!
I have a friend who was traveling to Illinois and decided to stop near Columbus Ohio for some rest. Because the hotel had a "no firearms allowed" policy he decided to lock his guns in his truck( huge mistake!) While he was resting , his rear window was smashed and his guns were stolen. Local Police would not respond due to COVID and took a report over the phone. They explained that there are organized groups who look for out of state plates on trucks, have people watching parking areas and even have people inside giving notice to thieves. he lost a Savage 220 (Thumbhole) and this one below which really hurts.
Please Share , keep a lookout and warn other hunters. PM me if you see this gun.

Bestill Creations .45 cal smokeless muzzleloader

Specifics:
Action: Pierce single shot
Stock: McMillan A5 l, coyote ambush color, 4 quick detach cups, front picatinny rail
Scope: Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25
Rings: Burris XTR
Brake: LR customs 3 port
Serial number: 20D144ML

Attachments

• AF2DF3E2-0BCC-4055-A116-DB250293AD26.jpeg
    AF2DF3E2-0BCC-4055-A116-DB250293AD26.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 97
So sorry to learn of your friend suffering this theft. It is a hard lesson that will never leave him.

It is common in cities. I once suffered a $16,000 loss in a restaurant parking lot at lunch in Houston. As a result, my wife gets to help me unload the car/truck at every hotel and we are on the road a lot. Often with at least 1 rifle.

I hope your friend recovers his property in as good condition as when it was stolen.

Idiot in N Mexico tried to break in my son's enclosed trailer(containing 5 of his firearms) around 3am one morning when he was moving from Fla to Az. Luckily he got up early to get an early start. Scumbag found a 9mm stuck in his ear for his troubles. Son held him at gunpoint until PD arrived. They knew him. Frequent flier!

This is a real SAD and horrible story.
I did a lot of traveling for business and hunting staying in hotels. First always park your vehicle in the front of the building where it is well lighted. I would sometimes move my vehicle several times to get a good spot. Never, Never, Never, Never leave firearms. laptops, valuables in the vehicle at a hotel. PERIOD!!!
Some of you may have a vehicle (Truck) with firearm safes built into the vehicle and will maintain a safe place.
Never heard of a hotel that had a "No Firearm" Policy. The only thing they can say is 'No Loaded Firearms" in the lobby. You do not have to disclose that you have firearms. If it is outside room entry no problem, if all inside access, just put on a luggage cart and bring inside. If some under educated liberal front desk clerk stops you, you can call the police. Once you paid for the room it is your's unless you are conducting illegal activities. They can't stop you from possessing Legal UNloaded firearms or in cases where you have legal Carry for Loaded weapons.
If at all possible don't travel in LIBERAL areas where even sometimes the Law Enforcement has their hands tied by politics.
If something like this does happen at a hotel, just make sure that you also have a firearms lock so the Police can verify and then you can't be denied access.
Beside hotels - AIR PORT long term parking is also a bad place to leave any vehicle with any valuables. I have several friends have pistols their CCW stolen out of vehicles at these lots. There are organized groups/gangs that run freely at these lots with the people in the Parking helping them. Look at Atlanta. There are dozens of outside parking lots. Look at the police statics. on stolen items out of vehicles.
I always like to CCW, but it is hard when traveling at airports. You really want protection when in ALT. I suggest either leave at home or take it on the plane with you by going through Luggage Legally. DO NOT TRY CARRY ON!.