Hi everyone - new member from Canada - planning a grizzly hunt

Seangrizzly

Hello Everyone,

My name is Sean. 41. Wife and 2 kids (boy 13, girl 5) and life is about the wife and I watching and enjoying the kids grow up.naive in Ontario.

Hunting addict. Son went bear hunting with me first time this year and wants to go again for his birthday.

Revere/worship th animals I'm blessed to take and the outdoors.

Am at first a bear hunter. Dream is to take a grizzly so I'm starting planning for a couple years out. Anyone know any outfitters. Will be my first time with this type of hunting. Usually bait hunt for bear and push the bush for deer and moose in Ontario. I'm don't have a great deal of experience, been hunting for about 8 years.

So first need to find a guide who will be patient with someone without this type of experience. Looking at BC but will look at anywhere in Canada. Anyone have any recommendations?

Secondly re gun. Own a 45.70 marlin xlr lever of course. My go to gun. At the range grizzlys are taken (I understand up to 200 yards) do I need a flatter shooting calibre?gun)

I've heard a lot of strong preferences for bolts but deer hunting this year taught me the lesson of really quick follow ups so I've been thinking about a semi? Any thoughts.

Know it's a lot for a first post. Appreciate any guidance/ help.

Cheers and Best

Sean

Sean,
Welcome to the forum! I live south of Houston, Texas. We have several Canadian families I know at my church. Don't know a thing about hunting bears except large calibers are your friend. Primarily a deer and hog hunter myself, although I have taken an elk or 2 with my .444 Marlin in Colorado. Good luck on your bear hunt!

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.