Help with question

WSMBUCK

Ok guys i have a question me and a few more and been going back and fouth with,

Ok if a Barrel company builds a barrel and its a Wildcat where you have to buy Custom dies and build the gun yourself are have someone else build it for you (NOT THE BARREL COMPANY)
And say the guy blows the gun apart with HOT reloads are weapon not put together right.

Would it take the Liability off the Barrel company since , he didnt build the gun are give any load deta are did the reloading for the Customer?
progress.gif

I'm not a lawyer.

But, I think the answer depends.

There is nothing that inherently protects o implicates a barrel maker.

You would need to sue them and prove that this was somehow their fault.

Then, there would be all kinds of finger pointing.

Who made the barrel and was there anything out of the ordinary about the barrel?

Who made the reamer and was there any reason to believe that it was inherently more dangerous than any other chamber?

Who assembled and headspaced the rifle and can they prove they did it correctly?

Who loaded the ammunition and what practices did they follow?

Why did it blow up?

At the point lawyers get involved everyone except the lawyers are going to lose. If nothing else they lose the time involved in litigation. With wildcat cartridges there are no standards to say what load is "too hot". Lawyers can and are likely to milk the controversy. There are plenty of people to accuse of being at fault.. There's the maker of the barrel steel, the maker of the barrel blank, the designer of the barrel chamber and contour, the machinist, the bullet, brass, and powder maker and of course the handloader. All could have to defend themselves if called to testify. Experts can and will argue over what peak chamber pressure caused the damage. The litigation will not heal the injuries or repair the blown up rifle.

There aren't many firearms that can't be blown up by a careless, stupid, or malicious handloader. I like high performance firearms, but I never attempt to achieve high performace with hot loads. Metals fatigue with time and repeated firing. I'd just as soon keep my eyesight and life. In 60 years of shooting and 30 years of handloading I've never damaged a rifle from overpressure and hope to keep it that way.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.