Help with POI shift!!!

Could the barrel be heating enough to give you that much barrel heat mirage on the third shot ?
I learned the effects of a close heat source 20 yrs ago while chronographing loads for my 223 100 yd target rifle. One morning early, I had a problem with the chrono picking up my shots, so I plugged the light system in. Of course, the chrono started reading velocities just fine with the extra light. After about 20 minutes of firing, my groups jumped from from the very consistent .10s-.20s for 5 shots to strings measuring over an inch ! I had also noticed the crosshairs dancing around, but the outside conditions were near perfect, overcast and stabile temps in the 60s . Light bulb came on (in my head), turned light bulbs off ( on the chrono) and the strings turned back into tiny holes again. Just a thought.

So quite a while since I've posted in this thread. But come to find out, this rifle won't shoot ANYTHING consistent. It's currently getting a new barrel put on. Browning claims 1.5 moa is acceptable :eek:!!! No more new Browning's for me. Thanks to all that replied with suggestions.!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.