Help with determining MV 300WSM

crappiedan

I have a cheaper chrono but don't really trust it... thought you guys may could help get me close. Rifle is Savage 11/111 LRH in 300wsm 26"bbl. Load is Berger 185gr classic hunter over 63gr RL-17 Fed 215 primer Norma case. I can only find the published Alliant data which only shows the max load for 180gr bullet which is 66 grains traveling at 3082 fps. Would anyone have any data on a similar load or where I could find such data? Thank you

My guess is that you are some where between 2925-2975 ft/sec.. I have not used RL-17 with the 185 grains Bergers, but I have shot it with 168 TTSX bullets and with 64.7 grains I got close to 3000 ft/sec. With IMR-7828 I have gotten 2950+ ft/sec. with the 185 grains Bergers. My Winchester Model 70 Coyote has a 24 inch barrel.

There are so many factors that affect you MV any estimates are just an educated guess. I would recommend you sight in at 100, shoot with no adjustment at 300, and 500. Take those drops and plug your known factors into a ballistic calculator. You'll have your exact (or a really close avg) MV when the drops match your observed drops. Actual drops at range matter more than the MV anyways. Plus it's more fun to have another excuse to get out and shoot.

Just my $.02!

I like the way Driver thinks.Dan if you will post OAL I will run it on quickload, and give you a round about speed. If you knew your actual H2o case capacity it would get down to real.....close. Like Driver said you should still confirm your drops.

Don Dunlap

There are so many factors that affect you MV any estimates are just an educated guess. I would recommend you sight in at 100, shoot with no adjustment at 300, and 500. Take those drops and plug your known factors into a ballistic calculator. You'll have your exact (or a really close avg) MV when the drops match your observed drops. Actual drops at range matter more than the MV anyways. Plus it's more fun to have another excuse to get out and shoot.

Just my $.02!

Yep! Also makes for good exercise. :)

I'm actually surprised no one recommended to get a better chrony or two. :):Dgun)

I like the way Driver thinks.Dan if you will post OAL I will run it on quickload, and give you a round about speed. If you knew your actual H2o case capacity it would get down to real.....close. Like Driver said you should still confirm your drops.

Don Dunlap

I don't have my OAL in memory...will measure and post. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.