Help! What scope do I buy???

HeftyLefty39

Current Equipment
Gun: 7mm Rem Mag
Current Scope Leupold 4x12x40
Trigger pull: factory
Range Finder: 400yd distance max
Bullet: Hunting reload that i'm working on maximizing

Goal: I'm a midwesterner and I want to go out west and hunt either Elk, Pronghorn, or Antelope and be accurate out to 1000yds

Questions: I want to put a new scope on my rifle...Do I need a Mil-dot rectical scope with a fixed power, would a adjustable farzone scope be best with range finder???? I've got time to plan for the best places to hunt and to save money for good gear...I don't want to break the bank though. I really would like to be able to hit an 8x8 plate at 1000yrds and do it consistantly. I've looked into the pocket PC with the program that calculates your adjustments for you if you have a Meteorology (Met) calculator. Thats probably considered cheating to some of you. But i'm just getting into this. Anyways, i'm not looking to put a $2000 scope on. Maybe a $1000 scope, but which one and is it really tough to mount it? I've got more questions than we have time and space really...I do not want to send if off to have someone else sight it in with the ammo I so choose...I want to do that work part of things. I just don't know about long range optics, range finders, scope mounts, or whatever else I may need. Lets say the budget is $1500.00, $1000 for scope and $500 for range finder or extra...what do you guys think??? Oh and is altering a 7mm rem mag trigger pull something manageable on your own because I altered my .17HMR sear to have a 2lb pull...or do I need a gunsmith and pricing???

Hey Lefty

I was in the same prediciment awhile go with my .338 win. What I ended up doing was taking the scope off and sending it to leupold to have M1 turrent knobs installed. Cost me about 130 bucks. As far as your trigger, I would have it lightened to two pounds depending on the gun either by you or a smith. Hope this helps and good luck

Hey lefty,

depending on your eyes, that 12 power scope may work. If your comfortable at that power (at "x" distance), I would send the scope back to Leupold for some turret modification. They will also change the reticle if you so desire. I'm assuming your scope has 1" tubes, so depending on the amount of adjustment it has left, you may need to invest in a 20 or 40 MOA base. (I just ordered a 40MOA base for my Rem 700)

My personal preference is the 4.5-14 in the Leupold line. Based on your budget, I think NF is out. The Mark 4 in this mag range can be had for 1089.

As far as the reticle, if you want a back up or "check system" to your range finder, the mildot or tmr will work. If your going to be using exbal or another palm based program, I think a duplex will work just fine if your going to "dial dope" and hold dead center.

On the range finder, (I'm going to be chastized for this) I use a bushenell elite 1500 and have no complaints. I have missed, but it wasnt the range finders fault. Ive been very happy and paid 200 on clearance from Academy.

Hope this makes sense and gives you something to work with.

Thank you two for the tips!...

I was wondering, how long did it take you to get your scopes back from Leupold?

Also, I'm thinking about getting the Kestrel 4500 NV pocket weather tracker...its list price is $309.00...any reviews, thoughts, comments, comparisons?

My software i'm thinking about for the PDA would be the Night Force Ballistics Targeting Software for $70.00...again any thoughts comments or comparisons?

I'm strongly considering sending the scope in to Leupold for some adjustments and new recticle...I'm thinking I may attempt the trigger job myself as well with some gunsmith advice of course.

Thanks again and look forward to hearing from others gun)

I have a Kestral 3500. You don't need any more options than the 3500. I use the Bullet Flight Program ( $29 ). Now after spending all this money I have decided to go in a different direction.

I wanted to get a really good scope. I do not know how this scope will turn out, but I am paying about 1/2 the price of an equivalent Leupold FFP which is about $1700 without illuminated retical.

The scope I have pre-ordered is the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP in MOA. Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope I am getting the MOA because the turrets and retical are both MOA and will work with my laser range finder in yards. I am also going to have Kenton Industries FAQ make me a new vertical turret in yards. Then all I will have to do is laser range my target and then dial in the yardage and hold right or left for wind and then shoot.

I have a place where I can make my drop chart all the way out to 700 yards. This info will be given to Kenton to make the new turret.

"Aim small miss small" :D

joseph

Last edited:
I'm probably going to stay with the Night Force Ballistics Targeting software "Exbal Software" i'm not rolling in the dough or anything, but I continually hear great things about it from people who have been shooting long range way longer than I have. Thanks for the Kestrel recommendation...I wondered how man bells and whistles were really necessary.

What about an ACI? Who would be the most reliable/trusted manufacturer for a good ACI? Does that manufacturer have good ACI mounts and do they send a bore level or is that seperate?

Also...has anyone had trouble locating a Pocket PC??? I'm looking for something to run the Exbal and I know I Windows Mobile, but other than that what should I be looking for. I can't afford the Trimble models and everything else i've found is discontinued so I know that I'd have trouble finding back up batteries and troubleshooting advice...what are people using these days except cell phones. I don't want to use my cell phone (its not a smart phone) Looking for $200-$300.

So far I'm thinking:

Range Finder: Leica LRF 1200 scan monocular $300 (used)
Scope: Night Force NXS 3.5-15X50mm $1100-$1400
ACI: ???
Weather Tracker: Kestrel 3500 NV Pocket Weather Tracker $259.00
Pocket PC: ???
Software: Exbal $70.00
Ammo: 7mm Rem Mag 168gr Berger VLD

I'm hoping with lots of reading, adjusting, trigger time, and patience this will allow me to take a animal (elk, pronghorn, antelope) at 1000yrds

You can get most any program, but they are pretty much the same. The Bullet Flight Bulletflight 3.1.0 will work in an Ipod touch. Maybe the Night Force will also. Oh, investigate the Viper that I am getting it is supposed to be as good as the NSX, but weighs a pound less which makes a big difference in the weight of your rifle and is about $500 less and is a FFP.

Down load and read the manual to understand what you can do with the EBR-1 retical. Click on specs & go down to bottom left. One is for MOA & the other is for MRAL.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product...ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle/reticle

joseph

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.