Help picking caliber for rebarreling

roughneck065

Picked up NIB Savage 111 270 win on a trade for practically free. Id like to rebarrel it to something "different" I love messing around on the reloading bench just don't no what to go with. I was kinda thinking 280ai or 338-06 but im not really biased against anything so all suggestions welcome thanks!!
-

Picked up NIB Savage 111 270 win on a trade for practically free. Id like to rebarrel it to something "different" I love messing around on the reloading bench just don't no what to go with. I was kinda thinking 280ai or 338-06 but im not really biased against anything so all suggestions welcome thanks!!
-

What chamberings you currently have in your inventory?

240 wby..25.06..257 wby...6.5-284...270...7 mag...7rum...30 06...300 win...300 wby...300 rum...338 rum those are about all the long actions i can think off top of my head i have

I looked hard at the whelen still not out of the question. I was told the 35 is a killing machine on whitetail which is all i really hunt. The bullet choose is very limited for 8mm so kinda shy'd away from that one.

I was looking at the 338/06 in the same setup you have but ran into problems with the gunsmith. Let us know how it turns out, I still haven't scraped the idea.

Fast twist 270ai or sherman, 280AI or sherman. My cousin in law took a 338.06 to Mt last season and took a decent mule deer but passed on his only shot at an elk that was beyond his 500 yd cap for the gun. It hits hard will less recoil than the 338wm. He's shooting the 210-225grn bullets in it. I shot a 35 W one time I have no doubt it will put the smack on whatever you hit with it within its range capabilities.

Do you know how long the barrel is on your cousins 338-06. Im torn between that and 280 ai. I just hunt whitetail and black bear as big game. So pentration is not that crazy of an issue. But i just like them big 338 bullets.

Fast twist 270ai

I originally was going to recommend the .270 AI but opted not to because he already have a .270 Win.

I really like mine, propelling the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS (my current accuracy load, had it near 3100 FPS but group opens up and too much pressure that I can live without). When I ran out of the 175s, I will be switching to 165s and possibly the 170s.

Attachments

• .270 AI.jpg
    .270 AI.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 13
Can't go wrong with 35 whelen AI or 338-06 AI, (I have both calibers). With the 338 you have more choices in bullet weights. PM me and I will give you loads on what mine will do.

Do you know how long the barrel is on your cousins 338-06. Im torn between that and 280 ai. I just hunt whitetail and black bear as big game. So pentration is not that crazy of an issue. But i just like them big 338 bullets.
It was originally a 25" and he had it cut down to 22 or 23". Douglas barrel fitted by them on a 03 Springfield. I think he used 4350 but I don't know what brand

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts