Help needed with checking COAL with wildcats

TBuckus

In the past, I used the hornady coal tool for check coal and base to ogive. Bought the modified cases for it and it was easy.
Problem is, I now have a 6.5-06 and they don't make one for it.
So the question is, Has anyone tried to modify a already modified hornady case? Or do I just go back to using a magic marker and a dummy round?

1. Drill & tap a twice fired case.
2. Send a twice fired case to Hornady.
3. Use Alex Wheeler method.
4. Use magic marker method.

I have had best results with Alex's method. Search this site for video.

the tap is a 5/16-36tpi
I drill and tap one of my cases, i usually have a case or two that are good candidates for that lol

The Stoney Point Hornady method is terrible IMO.
If you're talking about finding 'touching' COAL/CBTO, the old cleaning rod method is pretty much best. No case needed at all for this(just a bullet).
Otherwise, a split neck & soft seating of a waxed bullet will get you jam. Make a round ~25thou under jam, clean/mark it, chamber it, extract it, and look for marks. Seat a bit longer and longer, trial & error, to just touching.

I don't know what that information will provide for you though as best seating will always be what testing & target show you.
There is just way too much effort put into finding land relationships.

The Stoney Point Hornady method is terrible IMO.
If you're talking about finding 'touching' COAL/CBTO, the old cleaning rod method is pretty much best. No case needed at all for this(just a bullet).
Otherwise, a split neck & soft seating of a waxed bullet will get you jam. Make a round ~25thou under jam, clean/mark it, chamber it, extract it, and look for marks. Seat a bit longer and longer, trial & error, to just touching.

I don't know what that information will provide for you though as best seating will always be what testing & target show you.
There is just way too much effort put into finding land relationships.
yep you have to have finesse for sure

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.