Hello gents from Nevada

Schnyd112

Well, I have gotten lots of information for this site and decided it is a place I need to be a part of. I currently shoot a rem 700 vssf in .220 swift and I have recently began competing in long range varmint silhouettes with it. Hopefully I can gain some good knowledge and maybe contribute a little myself.

I will be posting, when I find the right place, my ideas for turning my .220 swift into a custom 7mm-08. The swift is great fun, but when the wind is blowing 10-15 by lunch I cut a lot of my hunts short.

Here's to the good times to come.

Welcome .... Always wanted to hunt Nevada but haven't yet had the opportunity. Spent some time in your state, cruising about its highways on motorcycles, and am familiar with the wind issues. We'd live in Nevada if I could convince my wife to accept the beauty of its open spaces but she doesn't see it as beauty. A guy can't win 'em all. :D

The state is full of treasure, and 75 percent public land. I love it. I can drive 15 miles and be in coyote heaven. Couple hours and I have some of the best chukar hunting in the world. Big game tags are all lottery draw, but when one is drawn we have some great genetics and the herd is managed with the utmost care. If you want pretty, we have Tahoe. If you want pretty and remote, there are the ruby mountains to the east.

Just a couple pics from my October deer hunt.
5n42p.jpg

uwydl.jpg

And the money shot. 350 yards, rem 700 bdl in 25-06 did the work with 110 g accubond over imr 4831. 3075 fps at the muzzle, he didn't not take two steps. Last day of the season and we Hunted our butts off. Passed on lots of small deer, chased one for 5 days that we could never get the drop on. We found this guy clear at the top and k had to belly crawl to get from an awkward 550 yards to a solid, Confident 350.
mww10p.jpg

Very nice deer .......
Frankly, I see beauty everywhere I look in Nevada. It's my wife who fails to appreciate it.
I have been told that it's difficult to find areas to hunt in Nevada without trespassing on tribal reservation land .... any truth to that?

Thank you, I hope to always remember the times I spend in the wilderness with my dad. The only truth to the res restrictions is about 25 miles north of Reno, around pyramid lake, and a few other very small pockets close to the highways. There are, however, some folks trying to buy up all the ranch land they can, then lease it to hunters. Some great little goose spots are now off limits but everything we do is DIY on public Land

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.