Hello from SA

Hello Dassie, another ex KZN, ex Vrystaat, ex WP, ex PE South African here... I guess I lived just about in every province. Moved somewhere between 20-30 times before I quit and went to Germany and from Germany came to the USA.

Is it as much a problem to own a rifle as it is a handgun since the law changed in 2003 ?

Hello westcliffe01, the lisence renew process take a long time. Handgun every 5 year and rifle every 10. I must renew first handgun (renewel issude jan 2009) jan 2014, but still waiting for first renewell on 3rd. Applied for all 3 on June 2008. New lisences are not a problem, 30 days, if you are member of hunting club, done your compentency test, no criminal record and can convince them you really need more then 3 rifles.
Rockrabbit

I guess when you consider my formative years, I am a Vrystaater... Lived in Bethlehem since I was just a bit more than 1yo all the way to 3rd grade. My dad was working for the railway and he was part of a team that was putting in the new electrified lines and as a result the place where the work was changed constantly.

I am still drawn to placed with higher altitude, mountains, the clear blue sky. Here in the US one finds very similar topography in Colorado and Wyoming. Lots of sunshine, low humidity. Wyoming can be tough in winter, the wind just blows like hell and it may as well be straight from the north pole.

The media makes the US out like a gun paradise, but the fact is that there are a lot of laws and restrictions and it varies from state to state and sometimes even city to city. Its simple enough if you just stay in one place and never go anywhere (there are plenty of people that subscribe to that theory). Most of the restrictions are really illegal according to the constitution, but apparently no-one has the balls to charge the politicians who make the laws with a crime... Michigan firearm law is over 400 pages worth and they have to give it to you on a CD when you take your concealed carry license test. Thats just 1 state.

Currently the only place that approaches SA law is Washington DC, and what they do there is illegal too. The city loses every court case, each of which takes over 10 years, yet despite the rulings, they continue to make it almost impossible to have a weapon for self defense.

Which part of the country are you from ?

A small town called Lady Grey in the mountains in the northern part of the Eastern Cape. My home is 5421 ft and i hunt mountain reedbuck up to 7400 ft.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.