Hello from Central KS

m715

Hello, New member here from central KS. Long time firearm enthusiast, enjoy nature, animals, firearms, old vehicles/cycles/MVs, always tinkering on something. I'm a career machinist, conventional and cnc, 30 yrs. experience.
Got a pckage deal on a SA Rem 700 AAC action, B&C M40 medalist stock with a Wyatts detatchable mag. bottom end. Looking to rebarrel to .308 win. in a mid to light weight/scout type rifle. Thinking about focussing on lighter bullet and higher velocity loads but want to shoot regular mid weights too. I'm not a real pinpoint accuracy guy but would like to hit varmints out to 600yds or so and if needed larger targets . But reserve the right to change my mind as I go.
Used to shoot Pdogs out to 400 yds with a .223 788 Rem fairly consistent. I usually like military type firearms from 1903 Springfields to AR's, FALs, CZ75's ect. ect. But appreciate any well built firearm of any kind.
Thanks for letting me join, looking forward to learning from you all and maybe pick up a few things I need. Regards Ed J. in KS

Welcome ED J . I am also a machinist but an amature one . I have been looking for a mentor to help me advance my manual machining skills . Would you be interested ?

Hello, I could help with a question now and then if I can. Alot of info can be found online or in books. There is a website "Practical Machinist" that has tons of info and a community willing to help answer questions. They cover just about all kinds of machining too..I visit off and on to find answers or see what's being talked about. So much has to be learned by hands on experience or from an Old hand who can show or describe things in person. So much to is just common sense/simple logic and knowing what material you are working with and the tooling you are using. Just take your time and be careful. Good luck, machining is real rewarding pastime/hobby. Regards Ed

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the reply . I will take that as a no . No worries at all. The problem with machining forums is you get too many opinions and you don't know which is right and they have too many experts that can't explain things simply and want to use all kind of confusing math etc. Very hard to find someone with manual machining skills everyone wants to talk about CNC .

Alot depends on your skill/knowledge level already and what you need to know. I will help if I can but as I said so much needs to be taught hands on by someone, there are limits to what I can describe through emails. Maybe a technical class at a learning center? Over here we have two year community colleges that offer classes that require only a few classes a week for a few months that cover basic machining practice. I learned alot from books from our high school metals classes too. AGI offers a set of DVDs covering manual machining methods and gunsmithing. regards Ed

Alot depends on your skill/knowledge level already and what you need to know. I will help if I can but as I said so much needs to be taught hands on by someone, there are limits to what I can describe through emails. Maybe a technical class at a learning center? Over here we have two year community colleges that offer classes that require only a few classes a week for a few months that cover basic machining practice. I learned alot from books from our high school metals classes too. AGI offers a set of DVDs covering manual machining methods and gunsmithing. regards Ed
I understand that and yes there are limits to what can be conveyed in an email but with digital imagery and the ability to add captions to images and attach to an email , they can be very powerful . I understand agreeing to be a mentor is a time consuming thing and I have just completed 3 years of mentoring a guy In El Paso taking him from novice to accomplished shooter and reloader so I know .
I don't have any machining courses available where I live .
Not to worry I just thought I would ask .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.