Hello everyone, newby here, have questions

dadsturn

I'm getting back into long range shooting again, been quite a few years. Bit the bullet and bought a browning M1000 eclipse in 300wsm. I don't know why I was concerned with recoil, heck, I shot 25 rds in one hour with no problems. very accurate rifle. Back to the question. All of the ballistics I have found for the 300wsm have been based on the 24" barrel. I would like to find the ballistics with a 26" barrel. As with the weatherby 270 and 26" barrels, as opposed to the winchester 270wsm in 24". There should be a difference. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

difference in fps is generally 50 fps/inch of barrel length difference.

So add 100 fps to the published velocities for 24" barrels and you should come within a few fps to the velocity from a 26" barrel.

Have loaded for the 23" Browning & 24" Winchester. Not a real lot of difference in velocity noted. With the short fat case, 24" barrel may be getting most of the potential out of the case. I think you'll see velocity increase by 50 FPS or less as you get longer. Of course, you may need to change powders to get the extra potential you're looking for.

I think you will find 40-50 fps a good rule of thumb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif <font color="red"> </font> but mileage can vary depending on bullet and projectile weight

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.