• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Heavy .338 Lapua for sale

Holy ****. First the site gets a over haul and the most experenced experts leave because they shoot too far and now we can't say anything unless we are wanting to buy the product. I hope that if I ever show interest in something for sale that is a ripoff that someone speeks up. (even though Len says we cant) Now lets say I have a $500 .270 win. with a $50 4 power scope that shoots a 1" 3 shot group at 1000 yards offhand. No one better call Bull **** unless you come to my range and see for yourself. Shake your head Len. What you are saying is if I can ripoff someone this is the site to do it on.

Len, I must politely disagree with you here.

I agree with rules regarding forum etiquette.
Guys arguing and getting personal about issues. There is no place for that here.
Educated gentlemen and ladies discuss issues in a civil manner and if they disagree they not stoop to personal insults.

I felt that that was happening in the past and you correctly implemented rules to avoid this going forward.

I also recall another instance when someone wanted to promote their scope business and someone else joined in and said "no, buy it here" I applauded your clearing that up.

But I feel that if someone is selling something (and a lot of good value items do go fast!) and there is a percieved bad value like in this case, I feel that members illustrating this point is perfectly justified. How would you feel if some newbie (and a lot of them depend on other in this site) purchased an item from another member and was overpaid a significant amount...say double what an item is worth? That would reflect poorly in this site.

If someone went to an outfitter, and that outfitter did a poor job, certainly they could speak on this forum and tell others to beware. Why not then something being offer for sale ON the forum?

To sum it up...
There was no personal attack on nighthawk or his charater. Simply the value of what he is offering for sale. I strongly urge you to think about what i'm saying.

Best Regards,
John

[ 08-08-2004: Message edited by: John M. ]

Long 1

I am not questioning the good intentions of Dantec or the facts of the gun's price, just suggesting that it is as innapropriate as butting into a conversation between a car salesman and his prospective customer unless the customer is asking for advice.

Otherwise, I imagine some member could find some sort of "helpful" advice to make on just about every item offered on the "Buy, Sell" forum.

There is a better scope available, don't get a green stock, those are the old bullet style, that is the wrong twist barrel, why would you buy a Swarovski binocular when "X" is just as good, there is a better price on Midway right now,

And on and on...

Holy crap, I used to think this site had members I could trust. I guess I learn more every day. You can say what you want, but I swear there is no way that I would be selling something for twice as much as I paid for it. Chris, I never thought that I got screwed in anything and never said anything to that extent. How do you figure that I'm trying to screw someone? How do you figure that I'm asking twist of what the thing cost??? The Long One, you mention something about pretecting newbies on the board from paying for stuff? As numbers dictate you are a newbie as well. I don't know who you are, but you seem to immediately go after something you don't know about. Why? Let people make up their own minds on what they want to buy, thats their business. Not yours. I seel things based on what they cost me not what they are worth. You can always find something cheaper, but what lengths are you going to go to to get it?? Like ss7mm said, if I offended anyone I'm sorry, but I feel the need to defend myself when people question something they no nothing about what I did to get it. ss, by the way. I appreciate your opinion.

John, I respectfully disagree.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> If someone went to an outfitter, and that outfitter did a poor job, certainly they could speak on this forum and tell others to beware. Why not then something being offer for sale ON the forum?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is more like an unknown-to-you outfitter offering his hunt and his post gets hijacked and his prices criticized. That is very different from starting a new post to alert members about a bad hunting experience someone had with the outfitter.

John, aside from the purpose of idea exchange, the most important thing to me in hosting this site is to be able to come on and read the posts without it affecting the buttering of my toast in the morning. Buttering Len's Toast
This means no unnecessary conflict in the posts. Allowing threads like the earlier part of this one are sure to guarantee conflict.

We may all have to compromise just a little in order for me to achieve that personal goal. It doesn't seem much for me to ask in return for what I provide to nearly 3,000 members and who knows how many lurking non-members.

Thanks for your understanding. Interesting timing...I am just now going off to have breakfast.

[ 08-09-2004: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Breakfast Report:

Things went quite well, actually. Even though one of the 3 pieces of toast had a hole in it the size of a penny...I got no butter on my hand!

I did forget to turn on the stove burner at first but, hey, I do that occasionally anyway.
smile.gif

Nighthawk,

whether the rifle cost you x or y, I don't know or care. The point is, when you undertake to build a custom rifle, it is essentially a one-off, and you are most definitely going to sink a lot more into it than you will ever get out of it. Case in point: my 6.5-08 bolt action match rifle. True Rem 700 SA, clipslotted, custom bolt handle, tuned and polished for Rapid Fire strings, PacNor SuperMatch 30" 1-8 twist medium Palma profile, MasterClass HighPower XTC stock, McGee cheekpiece, Tubb 4-way buttplate, RPA sights, Gehman aperatures, etc. About $2800 invested, going street price (with sights) $1500 give or take a bit. Doesn't matter how much I put into it, that's how much someone is going to pay for a used bolt action match rifle, as thats the normal rate. Something done by a big-name smith or a gun w/ a 'proven' track record might fetch more, but those are the exceptions to the rule.

It's kinda like building up hot rod street cars. You never ever ever get back all the money you put into it. Not even close. To expect otherwise is just dreaming. It may come true if you find someone who was looking for just what you built and considers the time saved not having to run things down themselves makes it a bargain, but most people won't touch it. Sad fact of life.

YMMV,

Monte

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>The Long One, you mention something about pretecting newbies on the board from paying for stuff? As numbers dictate you are a newbie as well. I don't know who you are, but you seem to immediately go after something you don't know about. Why? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>My member # has nothing to do with how new I am.And who I am is not at question here..I was a part of this forum long before you came..You asked me WHY??If you paid that much for the gun I am sorry.The reason I went after it as you say.Is because I hate to see someone get the shaft on something that can be bought for near half the price...I said I was done with this thread.The only reason I posted is because you directed a ? at me....I hope you sell the rifle....

Gents,
This was posted earlier by someone else, but some of you guys need to read this again or take a basic economics class: The price of an item is whatever someone will pay for it. This is true for guns, art, cars, homes, jewelry - whatever. Most folks here - even "newbies" - will most likely do some basic research on what they are thinking about buying before dropping the cash needed for a custom or even high-end factory firearm. If they don't then they must have enough cash that price is not a decision factor for them.

I have seen sniper rifle collectors pay over 100% blue book for a Parket Hale sniper that was rebarreled with a Winchester tube. They gun is 50% or less by blue book standards, but that is what they paid. Price wasn't a significant decision factor for them. I think they were nuts.

Pre-ban assault weapons have been priced all over the map - I have seen HK 91's and 93's in near new conditon go anywhere from $1500 to $2500. To some folks they are worth $2500 - to others they aren't.

How about the Porsche Cayenne Turbo - $80K for a freaking mini-SUV looking pseudo station wagon with a hopped up engine?? No way in hell its worth $80K to me, but I have seen quite a few folks driving them. Should I snipe Porsche for trying to sell these cars to some poor "newbie" car buyer??

The market will dictate what the price of something is - if the price is too high for current conditions it won't sell. Once it is priced accordingly, it will. It doesn't take a group of armchair quarterbacks to snipe someone's for sale post under the rubric of saving some "newbie" some money.

Chris Jamison - good bye, good luck, and good riddance.

Len - Keep up the good work - its a shame that a few bad apples have to dictate more rules for everyone, but that is life unfortunately. Luckily, the majority of the civil types don't need the rules dictated to them because they already know what the right thing to do is. This is a very informative board for both new shooters and old salts alike - and I have learned a great deal here thanks to many of the more informed and experienced hunters/shooters here. I hope that most folks realize the value of this and can live with not sniping on other for sale posts when they don't have any interest in the transaction. It seems like a common sense, insignificant policy, especially when you get the benefit of all kinds of experiences and opinions from a wide variey of folks witha similar passion.

SCL

Nighthawk, first off I want to say that my post was not about you or the rifle. I personally do not know what is cost since I did not build it. It is not my business anyway. I was only refering to the issue of whether or not people have the right to post opinions.

Len, although you and I had differing opionions of this issue, I respect your opions and rules. You have your reasons and I understand, respect, and accept them. Your point of view as well as the responsibility of this site is not mine. So to quote one of my Father's sayings and one from my Mother...

"Grant that I may not criticize my neighbor until I have walked a mile in his shoes" and "My house, my rules!"

...you can figure which was dad and which was mom.

I'm not leaving the forum (the thought never even crossed my mind)and I hope Chris reconsiders. I think this site is the best by far, you have done a lot to welcome new people. A lot of great information is available to all.

Thank You,
John

Whoa fella's!

NightHawk say's he's done with the thread.

Len would prefer we not bicker on this board and his morning toast suffers when we do.

Ian has a itchy "nuke a thread" left mouse button and I'll bet Mighty Mouse is hanging around somewhere.

It's a big old world we live in and there is bound to be something that irritates us ocassionally and this thread got a few folks fired up but let's let it die.

Please!!!

I'll bet that it would cost over six grand to duplicate this rifle, that is, the EXACT SAME rifle. All of the examples given that could be built for less used different components. So the cheaper models may be functionally the same but they are NOT the same item.
"The fair market value of an item is what a willing seller and a willing buyer agree on, on a given day."

dear SCL
I don t think to have write any thing again the SN9 for sale on this board and on this subject even if that a fact I have get serious troubles in the past with USO , I have write nothing again ....

If some other doesn't agree my opignion on this rifle cost / price wich is not the same , why not ,but one thing is sure if you are happy to spend $$$$$$$ why not

Enjoy the longrangehunting board but always enjoy real fact first

DAN TEC