Hawkin's .54 cal question(s)

playing with set triggers

If your rifle is set up like my T/C Hawken, you should be able to pull the hammer back to half cock (first notch) and play with the triggers til your hearts content. The hammer will not fall from half cock so you don't need to worry about messing up your nipple. One other suggestion, if you really want to download your rifle, buy a pound of FFFg pistol powder. The FFg seems to get a little cranky about consistent ignition below 40 grs. I have shot mine with 20gr of FFFg, kicks about like a 22mag, just a lot more fun.

I got a t/c renagade 54 to and others max powder on a 54cal. is 120 gr on a 50 cal. is 110 gr in my T/C I used to hunt with 110 gr and 425 gr buffalo ball (outch) heheheheh works great

I always love hearing about father's and son's enjoying one of America's greatest past time...plunking at the range! If I may, I would like to mention to you if no one else has and that is...if "EVER" at anytime you go to fire your muzzle loader and all you hear is the cap go off keep it pointed down range. Give it a minute and then remove the spent cap and replace it with a new one. If again it still doesn't fire..again keep it pointed down range and everyone with you at a safe distance and remove the nipple from the barrel. Check the nipple to see if you can look through the hole. If you can't, clean it with a nipple pick and replace it on the barrel along with a new cap. Try firing it again. If still no luck, again remove the nipple and sprinkle a "VERY SMALL PINCH" of powder in the hole where the nipple screws into the barrel. Replace the nipple along with a new cap and try again. Again if it still doesn't fire keep it pointed down range for about 2-3 minutes and try to remove the load from the muzzle end. I can say with confidence that at this point the charge was no good and you will more than likely experience this at some point. You should be prepared to handle the situation it it does. One last thing "Very Important" After the next time you load your new muzzle loader and before you fire it...perminatly mark your ram rod as close to the barrel as possible so you will know with confidence that it is loaded if ever you need to. Please be safe and you & your boys enjoy your new & hopefully long endeavor!

thanks but I all ready new 1 that been shooting mlz. for over 20 years now did that at the range teaching one of my friends there was 2 other mlz. shooters out there it was funy they said WHAT U GOING TO DO and after more powder under the nipple and checking the nipp.hit the bull eye only 50Y thay ALL said going to remember that 1. Witch remindes me of 1 year deer hunting had miss fire at a deer ****ed me off but it was the cap not going off tryed 3 more caps still nothing so we pulled the cap off put it on a nother gun BOOM so what is going on hammer felt week (spring) so what was I going to do I was out on a week long trip just like that it came to like a vision flash it was there my 45 pistol same brand a CVA pulled the locks off and swoped main springs robbed peter to pay pau now pistol dont shoot O well that was 15 years ago I realy miss muzzloading for deer in MN love that snow the deeper and colder the better I like it it is kind of hard doing it with a bow them dam twigs get in the way small trees dont bother a 54 cal.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.