Gunwerks LR1000 question

Sdupontjr

Asking for a guy a work. He's looking into possible long range rifles for his property in Mississippi. He asked me if I had ever heard of Gunwerks. I said sure, but don't know alot about them, but what I do know is you better bring your wallet. I have seen the LR1000 listed for as much as $4000 - $4500. Now I no nothing about them, action, barrel, stock, trigger, etc. Knowing what I spent on my Rem 700 build with shilen barrel, jewel trigger, and all of my items, I was close to $3000 (including scope) considering a friend of mine built it and cut the labor charges way down. I haven't looked into them a great deal, but one thing that I saw was them "recommend" shooting their loads. His question is, do the Gunwerks rifles shoot factory ammo of is this a Gunwerks Ammo only rifle given the specs of the heads pace and such? Again, I know absolutely nothing about these rifles, just passing on a question.

Don't own one, but one of the benefits is it's a "system", like you mentioned they even go through the work of developing a custom load.

I'm sure I'll get some flack for saying this, but personally I'd shop around a bit. Lots of good guns smiths are using equipment with the same tolerances that can build a quality rifle that shoots just as well for much cheaper. Don't get me wrong, they build a quality setup, but you pay a good bit just for the name.

A few years back Alamo Precision built me a custom off a Remington 700, very happy with their work. Best groups I've gotten shoot around 0.2 MOA with most under 0.5 depending on load. I didn't spend anywhere near $3k. I'm currently having them build my second custom off one of their actions with Proof carbon fiber barrel and all the goodies, will be under $3k with Tax.

I've got one of their Magnus rifles in 300 RUM and it shoots great. I've only put a few boxes of their ammo through it and it's been awesome. They also provided their load data so I can duplicate their ammo since my rifle seems to like it so much.

My step dad has a Magnus in 6 creedmoor and it puts the factory 108 ELDM ammo into tiny little groups.

I've owned a handful of custom guns and I own a LR1000 in 7mm LRM and what I will say is my Tikka shoots just as good with factory ammo but it doesn't feel as good! Haha also Gunwerks is UNREAL at customer service and will chat with you on the phone for as long as you need!

Been there, done that, and moved on. Not that happy with there customer service from the rifle I had built. I felt like I was a thumb tack on the wall when my job was finished, I was put back in the box for new orders. Accuracy was not what I thought a $8,000.00 rifle showed on paper. To your question I am shooting Federal Fusion out of this rifle 3/4 inch at 200 yards. Very expensive to shoot if you can not get reloading components like the fusion bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.