Gun exploding

SHEDKING

Alright I have a crazy question. I heard a gun exploded at the gun range the other day. Shrapnel went everywhere is what I was told. The barrel was fine and heard the receiver is what went.(exploded)
What would cause this? Is it a manufactured fault or ammo issue? Thanks for any thoughts on this. Just makes me think a little more next time I go to the range.

@ADMIN I think this is in the wrong Forum.
The main cause of firearm failure is the loads. Whether it was way to hot, wrong powder, wrong cartridge entirely but its usually something with the ammo.

Leaving lube or cleaning solutions in the chamber can also cause an overpressure situation but this is not usually enough alone to cause a major failure, usually just heavy bolt lift.

A barrel obstruction could easily cause a rifle to come unglued. A BR shooter that I knew used a brass rod to tap cases out of the receiver occasionally. He was shooting a 6mmBR IIRC but on a single occasion he left the rod in the bore as he loaded & fired the next round. The entire receiver blew apart and into his face. The guy lost his shooting eye because of this freak accident.