Gun Collection Conundrum?

westexhunt

When do you sell part of a collection? I used to do everything with 3 guns and kept one pistol handy. That was 25+ years ago and I couldn't afford more anyway. The list of guns that need load work and reloading is now longer than I can get to. Any extra time I thought I would have to shoot and reload is just not available. I do shoot a couple times a week and reload a few evenings a week but I can see that I won't catch up with the guns Ive got in line. Often the build and selection of parts etc is the fun part and when its done I want to start on another. Then there are the ones that I have fired before and don't plan to shoot again because they are too nice, or collectible, or I just lost interest. Ive got two boys and the guns that we actually use I have (for the most part) acquired 3 of. I'm still 20 years away from leaving my office for good and farming/ranching will continue to take most of my extra time as long as I can walk and drive. Anyone else feel like it's just time to let some go? I talk to other gun guys all the time, its usually the same "You cant have enough guns." or "Never sell a gun". I'm not asking for advice or saying that either of those statements are wrong, just wondering if anyone else has this conundrum.

I have a few untouchables that I don't shoot, but I generally move stuff to upgrade or move onto the next thing. I've also narrowed down my cartridges in hand guns and AR to fit a handful of cartridges to make life easy. Hunting around the same, only need so many. My kid will probably inherit the new hotness and a select few of his great grandfathers rifles. Just my 2C.

I growl at my self, all the time, about stuff like that. But, honestly, I still regret the sale of the only gun I've ever sold. I've given away a few, and I don't regret that. I, or WE, have two wonderful sons. They are both accomplished hunters and shooters. They can share my "legacy" arsenal, and I know they will enjoy it. I keep building new stuff, which I enjoy, and I NEVER even think about selling ANYTHING! A good friend asked me, "Bill, at your age, why are you building a 338 Norma?" I said, "If not now, WHEN?"

Good luck with your quandary!

I've got a pile of stuff myself. Some nice shotguns and several rifles and some single shot pistol stuff . Over the years I've gotten rid of stuff I don't see myself shooting . But then I just add different stuff in its place .There are several projects in the mix and some I'll probably not get to but you never know when you may need something to do. Now if anyone is asking most all got lost in a boating accident and fell overboard 😂

I don't have that many.But have plenty for me ,my son and grandchild.I fid it hard to find time for the shooting loading end of it more now and have my favorites.I always want a 22/22mag for fun,223 for general pests/truck gun on hunts.Then I have a light big game 6.5 PRC,and 2-338 Nm.Ones a packer and other more of backup/ heavier rig gun that I shoot more.The rest of my in between stuff my son has to manage.Always few pistols and shotgun for a few grouse for dinner.

When do you sell part of a collection? I used to do everything with 3 guns and kept one pistol handy. That was 25+ years ago and I couldn't afford more anyway. The list of guns that need load work and reloading is now longer than I can get to. Any extra time I thought I would have to shoot and reload is just not available. I do shoot a couple times a week and reload a few evenings a week but I can see that I won't catch up with the guns Ive got in line. Often the build and selection of parts etc is the fun part and when its done I want to start on another. Then there are the ones that I have fired before and don't plan to shoot again because they are too nice, or collectible, or I just lost interest. Ive got two boys and the guns that we actually use I have (for the most part) acquired 3 of. I'm still 20 years away from leaving my office for good and farming/ranching will continue to take most of my extra time as long as I can walk and drive. Anyone else feel like it's just time to let some go? I talk to other gun guys all the time, its usually the same "You cant have enough guns." or "Never sell a gun". I'm not asking for advice or saying that either of those statements are wrong, just wondering if anyone else has this conundrum.
I struggle with this often. When I feel like I need to let one or two go, I go through my list and try to pick. I start by thinking, what niche does this one fit?, will I ever shoot or use it? Do I have time to enjoy it? After those questions, I usually throw my arms up and just say "F*&K IT, I'm keeping them". Then there's the "where do I keep them all?" Running out of space. I recently redid my gun room and went the gun wall way. Lots more room now, and with that, I WANT MORE! It's a disease!😩 Sometimes selling and buying something different settles me down LOL.
I've got 2 daughters that enjoy shooting and hunting that the collection will be going to. However, they will never use them all.

I've got a pile of stuff myself. Some nice shotguns and several rifles and some single shot pistol stuff . Over the years I've gotten rid of stuff I don't see myself shooting . But then I just add different stuff in its place .There are several projects in the mix and some I'll probably not get to but you never know when you may need something to do. Now if anyone is asking most all got lost in a boating accident and fell overboard 😂
100%!
I should have read your post before I typed my rambling crap 🤪 I would have just said "what he said" ☝️

I had plans of gifting guns the grandkids successfully hunted with. 4 of 6 older grandkids did go but apparently really liked the camping more than the hunting. I've got two coming into hunting age that may like hunting but I don't really know yet. Only one got a gun from me so far.
I have no idea where these extra rifles will go and not sure I want to sell them. They're all fun to shoot.
What now?