glbhunter

glbhunter

New Member Info:I am 72, live in the outbacks of Idaho where I was born and raised. I have always been involved in reloading, shooting and hunting since 12 years old and still enjoy today. Latest additions are a Remington 700 SPS 300 RUM and a 357 revolver. Enjoy reading the informative forums on titles of interest.

Re: WyoElk2Hunt

You certainly live in a great state. This year the elk and deer got hit pretty hard this winter in our area, how is it where you live.
Ya, I have put together a long range rifle. I selected a Remingon 300 RUM SPS and leupold scope VX3 6.5x20 50mm long range target model. I really like the scope. Have worked up a 1 moa (sometimes less) load of 99.5 grs of retumbo powder and 168 gr berger bullet, with velocity 3250. However this gun kicks like a mule and I think I am going to port it or put a muzzle break on it, any ideas. I am sure it would be more fun. My next step will be to put on a yardage cam, there are some companies out there that do a great job with that. I have shot 400 and 700 yards with pretty good result. Last time I shot at 700 could hit an 8' paper plate 4 our of 5 times, with a 6" group. will keep working at it and hopefully can do better as I work at it. glbhunter.

We have had a lot of snow here and winter kill will be high on elk and deer. I have several long range guns also a 300 RUM from MOA rifles out of Redmond Oregon. Shoot 215 bergers out of it. The best way to go in my opinion is with a muzzle brake all of my big guns have them noise is high but recoil is low. I have a 338 Lapua and a 6.5x284 also. All my guns have nightforce scopes on them. Nice talking to you.

I have The ATRS Gill Brake on my 28 Nosler and my 338 Lapua. Works great have a Vias brakes on other rifles and Gill brake is way better I recommend a side port brake with no holes on bottom so dust stays down. There are a lot of great side port brakes Alamo and Terminator are real good also.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.