• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED FS: 500ct 6.5mm 140 gr A-MAXs

slickyboyboo

I bought these a while back (split a bulk bag with some friends), I decided to go another route than the 6.5, so these are up for sale.

$250 TYD

6.5x284tony,

This is a quote form an article about the new Hornady bullet tips:

In 2016, Hornady will introduce new hunting and match bullets with high-tech, heat resistant tips. Hornady developed the new "Heat Shield" bullet tips after Doppler Radar testing showed that the Ballistic Coefficients (BCs) of old-style tipped bullets were degrading in flight in an unexplained manner. Hornady's engineers theorized that the old-style plastic bullet tips were deforming in flight due to heat and pressure. Hornady claims this problem occurred with high-BC (0.5+ G1) tipped bullets from a variety of manufacturers. Hornady's testers believed that, after 150 yards or so, the tips on high-BC bullets were actually melting at the front. That enlarged the meplat, resulting in increased drag.

The AMAX along with some of the other tipped bullets are being discontinued in favor of the new design tips which are more heat resistant.

The Hunting bullets are ELD-X:

New Hornady ELD-X Hunting Bullets
For 2016, Hornady will bring out two lines of projectiles using the new tips. The first line of bullets, designed for hunting, will be called ELD-X, standing for "Extreme Low Drag eXpanding". These feature dark red, translucent, heat-resistant tips. With interlock-style internal construction, these hunting projectiles are designed to yield deep penetration and excellent weight retention. Hornady will offer seven different ELD-X bullet types, ranging in weight from 143 grains (6.5mm) to 220 grains (.30 Cal):
6.5mm, 143 grain (G1 .620 / G7 .310)
7mm, 162 grain (G1 .613 / G7 .308)
7mm, 175 grain (G1 .660 / G7 .330)
.308, 178 grain (G1 .535 / G7 .271)*
.308, 200 grain (G1 .626 / G7 .315)
.308, 212 grain (G1 .673 / G7 .336)
.308, 220 grain (G1 .650 / G7 .325)

The Match bullets are ELD Match:

New Hornady ELD Match Bullets
Along with its new hunting bullets, Hornady is coming out with a line of ELD Match bullets as well. Hornady's engineers say the new molded "Heat Shield Tip" should be a boon to competitive shooters: "You can't point up that copper [tip] as consistently as you can mold a plastic tip. With the ELD Match line, and the Heat Shield Tip technology… we now have a perfected meplat. These bullets allow you to shoot groups with less vertical deviation, or less vertical stringing, because the bullets are exact in their drag [factor]." There are currently four bullets in the ELD Match line:

.264 Caliber (6.5mm), 140 grain (G1 .610 / G7 .305)
.284 Caliber (7mm), 162 grain (G1 .627 / G7 .313)
.308 Caliber (7.62mm), 208 grain (G1 .670 / G7 .335)
.338 Caliber (8.6 mm), 285 grain (G1 .789)

I know this is an excessive explanation but I wanted it to be thorough for a good understanding of what was taking place.

Regards.

A steal at .50 a bullet. Who would be foolish enough to buy Berger 140 Match Hybrids for .39 a bullet?

A steal at .50 a bullet. Who would be foolish enough to buy Berger 140 Match Hybrids for .39 a bullet?

I shoot a lot of Bergers. There is no tip to melt! And besides, a bullet that is going out of production should be discounted, not price inflated......Joshf303 sold 800 of them for $195 on the 27th of this month, now that was a steal!!!

Tony.

And besides, a bullet that is going out of production should be discounted, not price inflated......Joshf303 sold 800 of them for $195 on the 27th of this month, now that was a steal!!!

Tony.

Then what about the 162 A-Maxs when they were on the discontinued list by Hornady? Look back on here, they didn't get discounted. It's a situation of supply and demand. Low supply:high demand, is what drives price. Also if you already have a gun/load combo that works, and don't want to touch it, at least not right now, you options are limited.

Then what about the 162 A-Maxs when they were on the discontinued list by Hornady? Look back on here, they didn't get discounted. It's a situation of supply and demand. Low supply:high demand, is what drives price. Also if you already have a gun/load combo that works, and don't want to touch it, at least not right now, you options are limited.

The 162's were just temporarily discontinued earlier, they are also available for the time being. Do what your heart so desires....LOL.

The 162's were just temporarily discontinued earlier, they are also available for the time being. Do what your heart so desires....LOL.

I'm very aware of the 162 situation, I was looking for them when they weren't available, as were many others.

One thing you fail to realize, is supply and demand aren't based on if something is permanently discontinued, or temporarily, it's based on here and now.