FNG need help selecting base and rings for up to 1000 on a 700 308 26" varmint bbl

sizemoremk

Thanks for the help.

I have just purchased a Rem 700 ADL Varmint in 308 with the 26" heavy barrel.

I have a Leupold "VX3L 4.5-14 56mm LR" with the 30" tube that has been awaiting a rifle to sit on for a year or so and I can't wait to get it setup and work up some loads!

Their website says I have 90 MOA in adjustment on this scope.

I would like to equip this rifle with bases and rings that would reach 1000 yds. I have yet to have put together a long range rifle as I have never had a place to shoot those kinds of distances, but it looks like I might have the opportunity on a friends property soon.

It appears I would need 35 or so MOA in elevation if I were to zero at 100 yards using a 175gr projectile.

So unless I am way off base here, would the 90 MOA of adjustment negate the need for a 20MOA base and/or the Burris Signature Zee rings with the insert adjustment?

It came with a two piece aluminum rail mount and the scope has a ridiculously high set of rings given its low profile, so I need to get a set of rings anyways.

I was looking at the one piece EGW or weaver (likely requiring bedding of the base to the receiver) both of which are aluminum. For 308 is there a significant reason to go with steel vs an aluminum base? Or should I just keep the stock two piece setup?

As for rings, I imagine a medium set of decent Leupold or burris would suffice?
I was kinda leaning towards the burris with the inserts just in case I end up needing a little offset?

Thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.