First full day

TexasSportsman

I haven't used the archery range at my gun club in a year or more. I injured my left shoulder and I don't remember how. I lost nearly all the range of motion. My bow was set to a 63 pound draw weight. When I try to draw the bow my right shoulder hurt so badly at 1/3 draw I had to stop.

I trip to my doc and a 12 week regime at physical therapy gave me most of my range of motion. I also lost most of my strength and had to drop the draw weight down to 43 pounds. I slowly built up to 53 pounds.

At the range with a 53 pound draw weight my arrows are hitting low by nearly a foot at 40 yards. Those arrows have a trajectory of a rainbow. I began a regime of weight training to get my strength back in my shoulders and arms so that I can get that draw weight back to 63 pounds where my arrow/field tip weight was making a fine group at the 40 yard mark.

I am shooting the Bass Pro Blackout X3 Hunter 340 with a 125 grain field tip.

If I lower the weight of the field tips to 100 grain do you think the point of impact will move up at least six inches or should I go with a 90 grain field tip. Mind you I plan on keeping the 125 grain field tips and broadheads so that I can use them when I am back up to a 63 pound draw weight. In the mean time while I am getting there I hope either the 100 or 9 grain will at least give me some encouragement at 40 yards.

What do you guys think?

Regardless of the trajectory remember if you change the draw weight and or weight on the front of your arrow your going to have to retune. Your bow being out of tune can not only affect accuracy and arrow flight but point of impact too. You may have to drop in arrow spine too. Just something to think about.