fastest way to develop a load

I tried 2 of my previously accurate load combinations with Barnes TTSX and Nosler AB yesterday at 200 yards. Nothing consistently good. I also tried some thin cardboard between the barrel and forearm. No improvement.

I had an interesting conversation with a tech rep from Sierra. He said that solid copper bullets like Barnes may have concentricity problems and effect flight characteristics in some barrels. While we were talking, I was looking at a ladder test I did back in early September. When I said that I had instances where rounds with higher velocity were below rounds with lower velocity and instances where rounds with different velocities were side by side and instances where rounds with the same velocities were spread vertically he said "concentricity". That could be why I'm getting inconsistent results along with a bedding issue.

I dropped the rifle off at a gunsmith and he is going to take a look at it. If it needs bedding, which it probably does, he will do it as well as look at everything else.

I am a bit late to the party and want to add one point that I did not read in the other posts. As your purpose is hunting, I suggest that what you are looking for is accuracy with a fouled, cold barrel. My wife and I both hunt with Win 70 fwts and have reasonable expectations and successful results on WY pronghorn.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.