Experiments in high Velocity. Georgetown, Texas

Calamity

I'm a retired research scientist. I managed a federal engineering battalion for 21 years. I was once on the USMC Rifle & Pistol Team at Camp Pendleton. I have an abiding interest in guns and ballistics. I have been reading your forums for awhile, and occasionally have an urge to comment, so I joined. One of your readers asked for ideas for achieving 5000 fps with a .22 cal pill of 44 gr. NASA-Ames once built a fixed pressure gun firing BB size steel ball bearings at 10,000 fps through an evacuated pipe several hundred feet long. I think it was a .243 cartridge loaded with a fast powder. The projectile was a sabot with a BB inside. The sabot split open on leaving the muzzle and released the BB. The purpose was to test materials for resistance to micrometeorite damage. It would be interesting to work up a safe load for such a projectile in a pressure barrel or stationary mounted barreled action that could be fired remotely. A standard 30-06 or 270 would do. For the sabot, I would try graphite impregnated Rulon. San Diego Plastics has it: http://www.sdplastics.com/rulon.html

Welcome to the forum! What kind of shooting do you like to do these days?
Thanks. I developed a retinal tear in my master eye, so I haven't done a lot of shooting the past two years. I have experimented with a laser on my Colt Huntsman and that does work for me. I miss rifle shooting, and trap, and just plain plinking. I regret that there are no convenient places near me where one can just enjoy shooting. I'm living vicariously on reading the stuff you guys post. LOL

A 7x57 Mauser was my first center-fire rifle, so I favor that bore. And, it is a treat to see shooters and the shooting sports become more scientific in their pursuits. The bullet makers are finally creating high sectional density, high BC bullets, and gun makers are stretching the precision of their products so that MOA performance is fairly common. I know there have been performers in the past, but to find such quality "off the rack" so-to-speak, is a welcome change. A few years ago, 160 grains was about the best one could find in 7mm, and Sierra and Hornady were the only ones making a boattail. 500 yds was considered long range. It is a good time for shooting sports, at least from a technical standpoint.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.