Do short scopes have a disadvantage?

coop2564

I have a 1.5x5 power Hawke scope that's really clear, has lighted reticle and I think would be perfect for hog hunting in low light, with a green LED 2000 lumen light on my AR. Its a shorty made for Crossbow. Would using it on my 6.5Grendel AR give me any disadvantage over using a longer model? Any light gathering or accuracy problems out to say 300yds?

Just guessing. Shorter scopes would have greater angles of light refraction than longer scopes thus be more critical to focus & parallax.
Counter suggestions would be cheerfully welcome.

"Short" needs to be better defined, but generally speaking the more compact you make an optic and or increase the zoom ratio, the more challenging it is to maintain a level of quality in various optical traits such as eye box, eye relief, field of view, depth of field, parallax, and usable magnification range. There is no question trade offs to making an optic shorter, there is a reason NASA telescopes are the size of a building.

Every design decision in optics is a tradeoff. A short scope will have to give up zoom, magnification, price, eye relief, FOV, or something else in exchange for small size. Optics are still improving and it's possible to make an excellent optic in a small package, but it will always be cheaper and easier to produce an otherwise identical scope in a larger form factor.

With a few exceptions, all the scopes I encounter (NRA High Power matches) are short. They are shooting out to 600 yds in all lighting conditions, wind. HTH

If it's on service rifles they are limited to 4.5 power if I'm not mistaken. Also, since HP competition is shot from position with the shooter supporting the weight of the rifle, the weight of the scope is a consideration.

I know a couple of guys who shoot 14lb AR's

When I was shooting HP I had a 15 lb AR service rifle which was an A2 configuration with iron sights. No scopes allowed then. Mostly shot a 15-16 lb match rifle also with iron sights. Weights were what I wanted, but I wouldn't have wanted to add a 3 lb scope to either. By the way, the top shooters are not shooting scores any better with scopes than they did with iron sights. However, scopes allow people with less than great vision to shoot better.

When I was shooting HP I had a 15 lb AR service rifle which was an A2 configuration with iron sights. No scopes allowed then. Mostly shot a 15-16 lb match rifle also with iron sights. Weights were what I wanted, but I wouldn't have wanted to add a 3 lb scope to either. By the way, the top shooters are not shooting scores any better with scopes than they did with iron sights. However, scopes allow people with less than great vision to shoot better.
Old guys rule! :)

Just guessing. Shorter scopes would have greater angles of light refraction than longer scopes thus be more critical to focus & parallax.
Counter suggestions would be cheerfully welcome.
Bingo. Shorter eye relief too. Every perk has a cost.

Still use short lightweight scopes every chance I can.