Duplex Reticle - At a disadvantage?

Marine24

I recently purchased a Nikon Tactical 2.5-10x44 scope. The scope came with Nikon's Nikoplex reticle, which wouldn't have been my first choice but the price was too good to pass up.

I plan on mounting it on an AR15 with a Burris P.E.P.R mount. Principle purpose is cutting paper and as a varmint rifle. I'd like to reach out to 600 yards but admittedly I'm new to mildot/ranging reticles and turrets that allow me to dial in elevation changes.

My experience is with hunting rifles and staying within the maximum point blank range of a particular round. When shots presented themselves beyond that range or I need to compensate for wind, holdover and Kentucky windage was the method I used.

I'll have a range card for the rifle and only shoot one load in this rifle. I'll also rely on a laser range finder to help with distance to the target.

Does the duplex reticle present a disadvantage given the intended purpose?

Stu: Thanks. Kind of my thinking as well if I have the correct dope on the rifle/round combination. Compensating for the wind could get interesting, but that has always seemed like more of an art than a science.

Wind in Colorado always has the tendency to change what it is doing the moment before the trigger breaks.

Mike

You are right about the wind! I always dial for the wind and then try and take the shot when the wind is the same as what i have dialed for, can be frustrating though.

Stu.

A duplex can still be used similar to other "tactical" reticles.....within reason.

Set up a target with inch grid lines at exactly 100 yds.
Look through the scope and determine how much distance (in inches) there is between the X in the middle and the thicker portion of the vertical wire below the X.

If that distance is 3", then you have an automatic 3 moa (approx. but very close to true moa) hold over or windage marker.

If that distance is 5", then you have a 5 moa marker, ect.

This distance or subtention can easily be visually divided by 2 or maybe even 4 for finer moa values.

Great idea. I have digging through Nikon's webiste to see if they had any additional information on the MOA equivalents on the thickness of the lines...etc but your method will give me actuals with this rifle and load.

I also like to apply the plex reticles for some downrange zeroing and rangefinding. Just checked the Nikon catalog and on pg. 54 it gives the subtension between post tips at 7.93 IPHY (@ 10x). This system oughtta' be great for windage applications to a limit of 1/2 that (actually probably even further, as i have successfully interpolated to about 2x the post tips subtensions. If i were setting up that optic i'd apply reticle to it's vertical limit then turret for longer distances.

Excellent info. That is why I like this site so much. I may not be able to find my butt with a map, but ask a question and the info is there.

I pulled up their 09 Hunting Catalog and there it was on page 51 with a nice table:

IPHY of the thick Nikoplex lines are 3.39 at 2.5x and 0.85 at 10x
IPHY of the thin lines are 0.66 at 2.5x and 0.16 at 10x.
As you noted the IPHY between the horizontal posts tips is 31.73 at 2.5x and 7.93 at 10x.

Here is some info going on my range card once I validate it after some range time

Excellent info. That is why I like this site so much. I may not be able to find my butt with a map, but ask a question and the info is there.

I pulled up their 09 Hunting Catalog and there it was on page 51 with a nice table:

IPHY of the thick Nikoplex lines are 3.39 at 2.5x and 0.85 at 10x
IPHY of the thin lines are 0.66 at 2.5x and 0.16 at 10x.
As you noted the IPHY between the horizontal posts tips is 31.73 at 2.5x and 7.93 at 10x.

Here is some info going on my range card once I validate it after some range time

So you now know that the distance between posts is almost 8 MOA, 4 from center to post tip. You could then divide the 4 into 1/2 and have a visual or mental 2 MOA reference............it's not exactly 2 moa, but close enough for general hold overs or wind dopes.

True. Never was very good with decimals and whole numbers are a lot easier.

At a minimum I have reference points. May not be as precise for varmint shooting but will definitely be applicable for the larger game.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.