delete

Buddro

I plan to try to take a black bear this year with my smith and wesson 29-2 in .44 mag. I have taken javelina and an elk in the past with pistol. The plan as of right now is to practice with my Dan Wesson model 15 for a few months, switching to my .44 with target loads shortly before season and running just enough hunting loads through it to be confident in my abilities with the set up. I jumped the gun a little while ago and ordered a number of 240 grain swc from rim rock for the .44 mag. Although I could swear I ordered 260 grain keith style bullets not 240 swc...I had a plan and reasoning when I ordered the bullets however I am a little foggy on what it was so I want to just come right out and ask a few questions.

I have 8 lbs of vitavhouri n340 for the .38 target loads But I want to source a powder thats a little more tailored to higher velocity loads for the .44. I am aware that the model 29s while being terrific pistols just arent quite as beefy as many of the newer pistols shooting .44 mag. I am also aware that a lot of loads data in turn is designed with the heavier more modern rigs in mind as well as lever guns. So what type of pressures/velocity ranges are any of you who have experience with the model 29s comfortable with in a hunting load? Anything up to saami spec or do you keep them down a little below that? And I am looking for powder recommendations for driving 240 to 260 grain bullets at these velocities.

I never used a 29 but have reloaded for several 44's over the years. I started with H110 and never had a reason to deviate from it. I've loaded it in 44 for 180 up to 270 grain bullets with great results. I've also loaded it in 45 colt, 460 and 500. It was always accurate enough at 100 yards given the open sights and aging eyes variables!! The handguns were Ruger super blackhawks, S&W performance center's and Big Horn Armory 500 lever action.