David Tubb Final Finish Bullets

I have used the Tubbs system on a 3006 savage with good results. I only used 1/2 the bullets which is 5 of each polishing grit. I found the barrel got so hot I could only shoot 3 tubbs bullets and had to let the barrel cool down. So I cleaned after the first 3 rounds while the barrel was cooling shot 2 additional rounds and cleaned again. Then I would move to the next polishing compound repeat the process.

When I got to the #3 compound I noticed a big reduction in the pressure required to move the jag and cleaning patch down the barrel. I also noticed that 2 tight spots were gone. My groups are tighter from 1 1/2" to 1" and velocity is down 20fps. If the jags friction is any indicator then I think the barrels pressure and friction are greatly reduced.

The claims of increased velocity are at rated pressure and full capacity not with the same amount of powder and lower pressure.

You will find that a faster burning powder may be the ticket.

Acutally the final finish instructions say that if you've got a really good shooting barrel, only use the lighter 3 grits 5 of the 3rd all of the 4 and 5. Half the bullets. I did that and still had a lot of throat errosion. Groups as good as it always did, cleans much easier and I can shot more before I have to clean. But I had to move my seating depth out about .03. Not sure what that means to the total life of the barrel.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I haven't had a chance to pick-up any of the GM top engine cleaner yet (should I get the liquid or spray?), but I was reading a can of Muzzleloader Wipeout and it said that it dissolved carbon....I gave it a spray, waited a little while and ran a nylon brush through it a few times and holy crap, you should have seen the black ugliness that came out of my barrel. It was almost embarrassing, I'm glad nobody was looking.
Thanks again! This website is the ****!

I believe that wipe out and GM top enigine clear are the same, same. If I am incorrect someone will correct me I am sure.

old_heli_logger

Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you whats left of my 7mm Tubbs kit. I think there is (4) #3's, (10) #4's and (10) #5's. I got rid of my 7mm and have no use for them.

PM sent...thanks MagMan!! It's this kind of generosity that really humbles a person. This is one of the reasons that I truly value the camaraderie with all of the shooters that I know and this sport in general. I'm honored to part of this group.
Thanks again!
Steve

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

What part of, "people" don't they understand?

Has anyone used it on a fairly new factory barrel? I have only shot 40-50 rounds through my barrel so far but was thinking about using FF. Should I not spend the money yet?

Carbon ring forms between the mouth of your case and end of the chamber where leade begins. A year or so ago on another site, someone suggested this method for removing the carbon ring: Get an old arrow, remove the tip and thread your brush in, one size smaller than bore diameter. Wind patch around brush, smear JB all over the patch. Remove nock, place that end of arrow in a cordless drill. You don't need to use bore guide, but keep the brush running straight for about 30 seconds in the carbon ring area. I have used this method, but without a borescope, I cannot be certain of its effectiveness. Lately, I am using GM top cleaner mixed with Miracle Oil 3 to 1 ratio. Its OK, still takes elbow grease.

Tried the NECO method of fire lapping several years ago on a .22-250, but did not feel it was effective. What are the consequences of just degreasing your favorite bullets, then smear several grades of gritty paste on them and firing? Cleaning after every shot or so, of course.

Thanks again MagMan! I got your package last night...I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to put them to good use. Bow season starts this Saturday and I'll be chasing the elusive elk. I'll keep you posted on my results. Let me know if there's anything I can send you in return; I owe you...

Good luck this season!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.