Daughters first elk- it's not supposed to be like this...

Agee completely with Orangedust. It's important to make their first few hunts easy and entertaining. My dad almost ruined me for hunting. He was not kind or patient with us kids. In the 1950s, we didn't have gortex, thinsulate, windblocker, etc. On my first hunt, he took me on a frozen river rabbit hunt in a cheap pair of boots and cotton socks because "I'd just grow out of them so why pay good money ..." When I complained after a few hous of walking on the ice that my feet were cold, he got mad that I was ruining his hunt. His attitude changed when hours later we returned to the truck and I said I couldn't feel my feet. Almost lost my toes and my mom was furious. Took about 40 years for my feet to finally tolerate the cold. Bottomline: don't play macho with your kids on their first hunts. It should be ALL about them and not you. Congratulations to your daughter.

My 12 year old daughter has been looking forward to a youth cow tag she drew all year. She got the wrong idea of elk hunting though. It's supposed to involve suspense, suffering, bitter cold, long steep hikes, disappointment and days of hard work.

Well this time it didn't work out that way, 15 minutes and a short hike into our first morning we got into a load of elk bedded in the timber in fresh snow. The wind was swirling and I worried they'd spook at any moment. It was a tense couple of minutes trying to find a clear shooting lane but a mature cow stopped in an opening and my girl made a perfect shot off the shooting sticks with a Savage 308 at about 130 yards. The shot broke both shoulders, double lung, top of the heart and came to rest in the hide on the far side. I've never seen an elk go down so fast.

Easy packout and she's feeling pretty confident and pleased! Couldn't ask for more!

Idaho- Hornady superformance 165gr SST
View attachment 159050
That was a perfect first hunt. She's hooked and now knows what lies at the end of a harder future hunt to keep her in the game.

My 12 year old daughter has been looking forward to a youth cow tag she drew all year. She got the wrong idea of elk hunting though. It's supposed to involve suspense, suffering, bitter cold, long steep hikes, disappointment and days of hard work.

Well this time it didn't work out that way, 15 minutes and a short hike into our first morning we got into a load of elk bedded in the timber in fresh snow. The wind was swirling and I worried they'd spook at any moment. It was a tense couple of minutes trying to find a clear shooting lane but a mature cow stopped in an opening and my girl made a perfect shot off the shooting sticks with a Savage 308 at about 130 yards. The shot broke both shoulders, double lung, top of the heart and came to rest in the hide on the far side. I've never seen an elk go down so fast.

Easy packout and she's feeling pretty confident and pleased! Couldn't ask for more!

Congratulations to you and your daughter. What a great memory for you both. I had a similar situation deer hunting with my daughter when she was 10 yrs old. She is now 41 yrs old and still loves to hunt. Unfortunately, we live in different states and because she is busy with her career, we don't get to share that experience any more. Cherish the time with your daughter, as they grow up too fast. Congratulations again. You are to be commended.

Congratulations to you both. When my daughter was 10 years old we shared a similar experience deer hunting. She is now 41 and we live in different states. We haven't been able to hunt together for many years, as she is busy with her family and career. She still loves to hunt and shoot. You're to be commended for taking her hunting. Cherish the memories as they grow up too fast.

Fantastic! The little ones need some easy ones for the confidence it brings. Success breeds success. She gets a couple more and you won't have to worry about her quitting when a tough hunt comes along. Good job Dad!
Agree, if the actual hunt is nothing but an uncomfortable disappointing experience,
it can make them perhaps think twice about it. Should it be really simple, no but it should help them in their growth as the next generation of hunters. They will have some other hunts that are less comfortable but exciting none the less.

View attachment 159050
Congrats man! What an awesome experience. I think it's better to have "easy" experiences first to get them really hooked so when the pain comes they want to stick with it and aren't so easy to give up. Way to go getting that girl hooked on hunting. I have a 6 year old that I can't wait to get hunting.

Atta girl ! Good job Dad ! It is wonderful to see the joy of youth hunting. Get reddy Dad you've got a partner hunting for life.. couldn't ask for more.. your a truly blessed man

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.