Completely removing moly from rifle barrel

rodneymoncrief

At one time every round from every rifle was moly coated this started 25+ years ago. Now that I am older I'm tired of the hassle that shooting moly bullets requires. I have gradually switched away from moly bullets, I have a 300 Wby that I thoroughly cleaned with Hoppe's/Kroil followed by Sweet's 7.62 and shot non-coated bullets fine. I have a 30-378 Wby that I'm trying to switch to non-moly and I cleaned in the same manner but my non-moly groups open up considerably. Just wondering what methods you guys use to remove moly from a barrel, as I said I used a brush with Hoppe's+Kroil, followed by clean patches, Sweet's 7.62, clean patches, Hoppe's+Kroil, and finally dry patches. Any advice would be appreciated.

Varmint Hunter is right - need to mechanically remove it. Here are some suggestions:
1) Walt Berger method - Use Kano Kroil penetrating oil and USP Bore Paste (similar to JB.) Run two patches wet with Kroil through the bore, a dry patch, then a couple of patches of USP Bore Paste. Repeat as needed using short, 2" strokes with the bore paste. It will take a lot of cleaning to remove the majority of moly.

2) Snipercountry . com method: Plug the barrel and soak with Kroil overnight. Then scrub with a mix of JB-Bore Compound and Kroil for 5-20 short stroke technique passes. USE A BORE GUIDE, quality rod and jag, and be careful around the crown (don't bang the heck out of it). Finish with a solvent of choice and good oil.

3) Bore Tech MOLY MAGIC instructions: First, clean bore with Bore Tech Eliminator Bore Cleaner. Next, wet 3 patches with Moly Magic and individually push through bore. Now make 10 to 15 passes with a tight fitting Bore Tech brush saturated with Moly Magic. Repeat the 3 wet patches with Moly Magic and let soak for 10 to 15 minutes. For badly fouled rifles, extended soak times may be needed. Moly Magic can be safely left in the bore overnight. Finally, push dry patches through the bore until they come out clean. Repeat as necessary.

It sounds like ALL these methods will still leave trace amounts of MOLY behind which leads me to believe that something like David Tubb FinalFinish bullets might be needed to remove what remains. A 'plus' is they will smooth your bore and throat up, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts