• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Colt Cobra .38 Special Help with Serial # Hot or Not??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurwery

Hello,

I saw this pistol at a Yard sale, took a picture and got the Serial number. Can imagine it being at a Yard sale and stolen, because the let me write the Serial numbers down and they seemed cool with it.

Can anyone run these numbers thru the D.O.J. (Department of Justice) and see if it's a stolen gun?

I don't want to buy it if it's Stolen. Serial # C93067
___ _________________________________ G

That's how it was, with a G below the Serial number.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Gurwery

Last edited:
Let us know how your investigation goes.

Between the DOJ and ATF you are dealing with two of the most opaque and sloth bureaucracies in the Executive branch.

So, letting you write down the serial numbers makes you more suspicious ?

Hello,

Can imagine it being at a Yard sale and stolen, because the let me write the Serial numbers down and they seemed cool with it.

And I'm sure they will want info on who has it if the records show it is stolen.

I can't imagine -my- PD giving a rats *** about what are supposed to be gun serials written on a slip of paper.

Thanks for the information! I'm going to the Pawn Shop today, to ask if they'll run the Serial numbers.
Hope is turns out, Clear!

I'll post, my finding, later!

Have a Great Day!

Gurwery.

Thanks for the information! I'm going to the Pawn Shop today, to ask if they'll run the Serial numbers.
Hope is turns out, Clear!

I'll post, my finding, later!

Have a Great Day!

Gurwery.
i have found in the past that they have to have the gun in there hand to run numbers on that way if it is hot they can arrest the person with the gun. if they run numbers on a gun when ever anyone wanted a favor they would be busy all the time and would receive a 1000 calls every time there is a gun show in town. i have bought dozens of weapons at yard sales over the years and never ran into a problem. look at the people and see how they live, and decide if there safe and honest. you should be able to tell. a hot gun woud be sold at a bar or flea market where the person couldnt be tracked, a yard sale would be easy to come back to if there is a problem

i have found in the past that they have to have the gun in there hand to run numbers on that way if it is hot they can arrest the person with the gun. if they run numbers on a gun when ever anyone wanted a favor they would be busy all the time and would receive a 1000 calls every time there is a gun show in town. i have bought dozens of weapons at yard sales over the years and never ran into a problem. look at the people and see how they live, and decide if there safe and honest. you should be able to tell. a hot gun woud be sold at a bar or flea market where the person couldnt be tracked, a yard sale would be easy to come back to if there is a problem

Looking at a person to see how they live is not going to do you alot of good.

I bought a stolen handgun one time from a gun store. Rode around with it in the truck for 3 months before the owner of the store called me and asked me to bring it back. Seems the sheriff had just left and it and another one was stolen.

Buying a stolen handgun happens. IF i buy a used handgun, I get a recipt. Make a copy of it and keep it in my truck. IF I happen to go through a license check and they run the serial number and it comes back stolen, I have proof of where I bought it and I was not the one that stole it.

Go buy it if you want it. Write up a recipt and have the current owner sign it. At least you can CYA if it turns up hot.

I just got back from the Pawn Shop, they said, have the person come down and do a person to person transfer 35.00 and if it's Hot they keep the gun for D.O.J. and what hold me and the person until the Law comes for Questioning?

Other option they said, was just buy it and don't tell anyone. Kinda like that President! Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Clinton! Isn't that what he said, about Monica Too, Don't ask, Don't Tell? No he Lied! Lol

Heck what do I do??

Until the passage of I-594, here in WA, I always called 911 with a non-emergency call. They'd run my gun through and say if it was stolen. Did several that times. If they ever hesitated I'd politely ask their name and explain I was complying with state law in knowing I was not trafficking in stolen goods. They always checked.
Good luck.

The Hock,

Thank you so much! I will try that great tactic you just shared with me, tomorrow!

And I'll post the results for Sure!

Thanks Again,
Gurwery

Status
Not open for further replies.