Choosing a crossbow?

I bought a TEN POINT INVADER and I love it! at 40 yards on a bad day I can kill a 10 inch paper plate ,,and on a good day my shots are just over 6 inches..

Rule #1 stay away from any bows made in CHINA.

The EXCALIBUR is a very good Crossbow. Great quailty! you will not go wrong.
Its the Weatherby of Crossbows.

Interesting thread and much of the info I needed. The Excalibur appears to be a sound choice and the PSE offers what I would want in a more technical setup. Choices...

It's been awhile since I started this thread, but a couple of months ago I made a painless trade for a Horton Legend. Didn't expect much from it, but I have been surprised. I started a thread titled "It ain't a TAC 15, but it's mine". It's a good enough bow that I've backed off buying an Excalibur or TAC-15 for the time being. I haven't shot it past 30 yds yet, but will shoot it out to 50 just to see how it does. If it won't group at 40 or 50 yds, I'll go back to trying to buy a TAC-15. I had stated a preference for the TAC-10 because of its smaller size, but was told that they're the same price as a TAC-15, but can't match the performance of the TAC-15.

After I shoot the Horton at 40 and 50 yds, I'll post the results on my other thread. So far, I'm impressed with its performance and with Horton's customer service. When I ordered a spare string from them, their Tech spent a lot of time answering questions that I had learned enough to ask.

Tom

Two years ago NJ allowed xbow for all archery seasons.

I initially bought a Stryker xbow @ 405 fps.
The cables and string did not last long, it was huge and awkward ( IMO ) so I sold it on ebay.

I now have a Horton Vision which is about 300+fps and very narrow, under 20 inches axle to axle.
Being a reverse draw design it is very well balanced.
It is tough on servings due to extreme string angle.

http://www.hortonarchery.com/resources/1/images/VisionAerial.jpg

I am up in the air as far as staying with an xbow.

They tend to be heavy, wide ( think about width if you hunt from a treestand and need to shoot behind you ). Most are tough on strings ( the string drags on the rail with MOST xbows ) and also most need a device to cock the bow due to heavy draw weights.

I am seriously considering using my vertical bow with a draw locking device.....not 100% sure yet.
http://www.drawloc.com/sites/default/files/images/DrawLoc1.gif

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L5-XH-FAf4&feature=player_embedded"]Draw-Loc Attachment - YouTube[/ame]

edge.

I'm looking at the Horton Team Realtree 175 , Parker Cyclone or Tornado, Barnett Predator, and Excalibur Exocet. The Tac 10 and 15 have features I like, but poor value, of course I could say that about all of them. Seems to me I should be able to get a good rifle or scope for some of these prices.

Last edited:
Hi folks, planning on buying the new Bowtech strykezone 380,any feedback? Also what scope do u guys recommend? I heard the one that comes in the package is junk... Thx

I have been hunting deer with a crossbow in Il. for quite a while. I started out with a ten point eleit light, and didn't like it . It was too heavy in the front and to put a new string on it I had to take it to a pro-shop and spen d $100.00. for the past 8 years Ive used a Excaliber Exocet, 200 lb. recurve . It's light accurate, and a new string only cousts $25.00
I use 85 grn monatec g-5s and at 35 yards they cant duck fast enough to get under it, and it has enough power to shoot through a deer lengthwise.

I actually have a older Ten point that I got years ago in the bargain barn of cabelas. I know what it is like to service that thing but Im blessed that I never have had to. Geese etc "loved" mine. That Eoxet looks like you could restring it yourself easy. That Eoxet looks cool.

Generally, crossbow has 9 specs you should take into consideration:

1.Type
There are two main types of crossbows: the recurve crossbow and the compound crossbow.

2.Speed
The speed, or velocity, measurement of a crossbow refers to the rate at which an arrow is fired from the bow in feet per second (fps). Speed is the byproduct of a few factors including the crossbow's draw weight, power stroke, and the weight of the arrow.

3.Draw weight
Draw weight is the highest amount of weight in pounds (lbs.) pulled when the crossbow is drawn. Draw weight corresponds directly with draw length, or how far back you will need to draw the string to fire the arrow.

4.Kinetic Energy
Kinetic energy measures the amount of energy, or force, the arrow carries in the air upon being fired in foot pounds (ft.-lbs.). An arrow carrying high kinetic energy will strike an animal with more force and with deeper penetration, so it is especially important for hunters to consider this specification when purchasing a bow.

5. Power Stroke
Power stroke is also referred to as draw length and measures the distance of the string from rest position to fully drawn posture. Like mentioned above, power stoke corresponds with draw weight and a crossbow with a longer power stroke typically requires a higher draw weight to bring the string to firing position.

6. Mass weight
The overall mass weight measured in pounds gauges the heaviness of the crossbow. Just like a rifle or regular bow, a heavier crossbow will be more difficult to carry long distances and harder to keep aimed on target when an arrow is drawn.

7. Length
A crossbow's length is the distance (in inches) from the end of the stock to the furthest end of the crossbow, which could be the stirrup or the dissipater pads on the limbs; this is not an industry standard. A longer crossbow also normally makes for a heavier crossbow. For this reason, taller and more robust shooters may be comfortable with a longer crossbow, while shorter, younger, and female users may prefer shorter models.

8. Width
The width (in inches) measures the distance from end to end of the crossbow's limbs when at rest. Just like with length, consider the width of different crossbows in proportion to your body. A wider crossbow may offset the balance of a shorter shooter, while a more compact model could constrain and be less comfortable for a more robust shooter.

9. Trigger Pull
Trigger pull refers to the amount of weight needed to pull the trigger in order to fire the crossbow. This is not an issue most shooters with dexterous fingers, but the average crossbow will have a trigger pull somewhere between 3 and 4 lbs.(3.5 lbs is the best), which is considered a safe and effective level.

Hope this could be helpful.
If you're still confused, or want to learn more about crossbow before purchasing, feel free to visit my crossbow blog =)

I have tended to like light and short crossbows. Most crossbows are rather muzzle heavy and while this is not a problem in a blind, it will not take long for you to wish you had a lighter crossbows when carrying it. Another issue is complexity. The more complex the harder to fix in the field. Considering the above, I like the Excalibur crossbows and Draw-locs. The Excalibur is so simple you can change the string yourself in the field. It is fast and light. I break the crossbow down and put everything in a baseball soft carrying bag which you can buy at Dunham's.

A lot of people do not know what the Draw-loc is. It is a simple system which can be attached to your bow in minutes and helps you hold the bow at full draw. The person most likely to use a Draw-loc is one who already has a good bow, and does not want to spend a lot to purchase a new crossbow. The system works very well and many users say their shooting improved after installing the Draw-loc. If you are an older hunter like myself, and have been reducing the draw weight in order to keep hunting, the Draw-loc may be just what you need. I have restored my bow draw weight back to 70#. The Draw-loc only adds about a pound to your bow's weight and the hold back rod and trigger mechanism can be removed while walking to the stand.

Guys,

I too am in the market for a good Crossbow....

A long time buddy of mine and I were talking, and come to find out his company owns 211 acres of woods next to his factory! Yes I can hunt there he said (never hunted).
Did my scouting, saw tons of deer, and then wanted to know IF it was not in the city limits where I live here in North Georgia..to make sure I could use a rifle...

You guessed it..it is within the City Limits...So I am in the market.

Headed down to Bass Pro, tried many, but they steered me away from Horton even though they were deeply discounted. Two of the salespeople there told me Horton was recently sold and that the new company was not honoring ANY of the warranties on any of their crossbows...He said that most likely Bass Pro would not be selling them in the future.
Not sure how true the statement is, but thought I would at least pass along the information here.

Mighty Man

Resurrecting this thread right after Easter! 2014 I stumbled upon the thread and Just have to comment. I have an Excalibur in Exocet model. It is a great bow. I started with a parker safari magnum about 15 years ago. Had a couple limb breaks and a stock problem. Parker service department is second to none. When they no longer had stocked parts for my old bow, they allowed me to upgrade to a new x bow for 200.00 difference. That made them giving me the entire initial purchase amount for my original bow! The bow I have and have hunted with now for 3 years is the parker Tornado. It is much more compact, quieter, and faster than the Excalibur. I have not had one issue with it in 3 years hunting. I keep the rail lubed and the strings and cables waxed and the deer and turkey are in deep trouble when they walk out in front of it. The parker Tornado is in the 850 range and worth every penny in my opinion. I have both the excaliber and the parker and can use either one. If something breaks on my parker I will use the excaliber, but only till I get the Parker fixed, And with parker's service department that will not be long at all! Please do not get me wrong, the excaliber is a great crossbow. My son hunts with one. I much prefer the parker for hunting. Try one, you might just fall in love.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.