Checking Maximum Case Overall Length Methods

Endurance

I have found numerous postings on the "best way to check OAL" Some have cut slits in cases measure with a cleaning rod... ETC

This was my method last night,

I took a Sized and De-Primed Case.

I filed the inside of the case with a chainsaw file till I could get a bullet to slide in and out barehanded.

I then used my crimp die to tighten it to my liking.

Then I placed a bullet in the case at its longest possible length to still sit square,

I tipped my rifle toward the ground dropped the assembled round in. Cycled the bolt and pulled, out a set to max length round. When I pulled the round out I carefully held the round straight as my ejector puts a lot of side pressure and was pushing the bullet out of square.

Depending on the Bullet My OAL was between 2.722 and 2.709

I did each bullet 3 times to make sure I was actually true, and I did have to tightened the case a little after 3-4 tries to keep the round from sticking in the rifling.

I wrote the Maximum length of the round on the box of each type of bullet. I put the "shaved case" on a shelf with sharpie to use it everytime I get a new slug to try.

Any other methods out there this took about 30 mintues to check 5 different types of bullets including making the case.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.