Change Tactics?

Red Sparky

Elk season is close and with the drought we were having I was going to hunt water holes and springs early and late and hunt north facing slopes during mid day to find bedded elk. Then try to plan an ambush or spot and stalk after I found them bedded. We have gotten quite a bit of rain so now we are an inch above normal rainfall rather than 3 inches below it.

Do you all think it is still worth sitting on water holes? I am just wondering if I will be wasting time now that there is water in abundance. I still plan on tenting it in the woods away from roads so hoping to hear some bugles to start locating some bulls. Archery here is an either sex tag so for the first five days of a nine day hunt I plan on hunting bulls and then the first cow that gives me a shot is going to fill my freezer.

You are hunting in unit 23 right? Sitting a water hole might be pointless since they can get water anywhere. It's gonna be really tough if they are not in the rut. Hopefully they will be bugling for you. Looks like you may be doing some spot and stalk since the water issue is gone. It's doable but just a lot harder going. I did it two years ago and tagged out on a 5x5 but there were a lot of disappointing times haha. You can sit a waterhole for a day or so that you know they are going to and see if it pans out.

That's what stinks about NM. They don't give you as many days to hunt as other states do so if your plan gets ruined you don't have much time to get a new one.

I have the rifle hunt for that unit from October 18-22.

Yeah they don't give us much time. That and the unit I ML hunt and know I did not draw for. Seems like somebodies third choice took out my first choice so my third choice took out somebodies first choice. I wish they would do it like the old days and pull all first choice applicants per unit, then second chance applicants, and then third. Had to buy my daughter a youth encouragement hunt as she drew squat for elk.

So to learn a new unit I have been there a few times, found some shredded trees, been over the maps every night and have some loops in the gps to see what is happening away from the roads and cover country. I have my pack ready for over nights and planned where I can park the Jeep, end up at the truck and go back and pick up the Jeep again. The one good thing about all this rain is tracks should be fresh with old sign washed out.

Korhil78 I will send you a PM when I get back to let you know what I find to help on your Oct. hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.