Chambering goals

Old Harry Pope did just that. He would drill, bore, lap a barrel out, CHAMBER IT, fit an insert into the chamber, and then rifle the bore..... Not many people have the TIME to have that done and I don't know if the riflers would think about it. Of course a few guys are doing re-boring of barrels and that would be similar, but you go from say a 30-05 to 338-06 you will still be running a neck and throater into the chamber to complete.

But really, is it worth the effort? I don't think so, at the time Harry did, but he did all his own work and it probably didn't add too much time to change the sequence some. I believe the chambering reamers we're using today probably work a tad better than those of the past also.

I know a few guys at a cut-rifle barrel shop, at one time I did think about just getting a drilled and reamed tube from them for me to fit and chamber, and then have it rifled afterwards, but with the methods most use now for set-up before chambering would be no different, and lapping out a barrel after rifling may wash out that 'perfect' throat you were hoping to have.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.