CBTO Measuring in a 70's Sako L61R

mlayne

Hi Guys. I've just started using a comparator to work up a couple of loads and right off the bat I've got an interesting result.

I'm 74 and have been reloading for 50 years or so since I started with a Lee Loader for a Mauser Sporter in 308. I've been interested in setting up for longer range shooting since previously I'd just zero rifles for 300 yard point blank range and limit my shots to that range. I've been pretty bored lately since our range is closed so I upgraded some scopes; got a Hornady Comparator and built some custom measuring brass for my seven calibers using fired cartridges. I pulled out my old Sako 7mm RM for my first project. It routinely shoots 1/2 MOA and there's really not much reason to get the measurements and start load development but I'm bored and have lots of time so..... Much to my Surprise the measurement showed 2.965" CBTO and 3.543" COAL. This is with a Nosler Partition 140gr bullet. Unless I'm missing something (probable) if I seat the bullet to .284" beyond the boattail I'm gonna have a 0.300" or so jump right off the bat at my longest COAL.

My instinct is to Quit obsessing about the seating depth and just load my normal hunting loads and be happy. Any experiences or ideas?

Thanks,

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.