Can I shorten a McMillan Stock???

Buzzsaw

I have a really nice custom built rifle by McWhorter Rifle's in 6.5 Weatherby. I've come to learn the rifle's LOP is too long for me, maybe as much as 2".

I can't "get up" on the stock and get a full field of view Swaro 5-25X50, especially in a deer blind or off hand.

Can I have the LOP shortened? I'm afraid if I do it will kill any re-sale value. The rifle is VERY accurate .5 MOA to 600 yards (furthest I've shot steel with it). I use a custom BDC turret Swaro built for my rig.

I may sell it but I really love it , it's a first class build.....

Thoughts on cutting it shorter??

2 inch difference is a lot. Take it to a gunsmith in person an get a professional opinion. Yes people cut fiberglass stock. But 2 inches would be youth rifle territory. It will affect resale value.

Only you can decide if you want to have a rifle that really fits you or sell it.

Good luck

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, Actually my daughters Browning X-Bolt Micro (12.5 LOP) is just a hair short.

I will go to the Dallas Safari Club convention in January and meet with several rifle builders. I will be sure and have them measure my "true" LOP.

I would just as soon sell my McWhorter and start over.
Thanks !!

There is no way that you need to shorten a standard length stock by 2". A youth stock is only about 1" shorter.
It sounds like your scope is mounted too far forward. Have a gunsmith take a look at the whole set-up for you.

Buzz what is the lop now. if it needs to be shortened call mcmillan and they will give you a work order number and send it to them to shorten. just had to do this myself a few months ago.

I have a really nice custom built rifle by McWhorter Rifle's in 6.5 Weatherby. I've come to learn the rifle's LOP is too long for me, maybe as much as 2".

I can't "get up" on the stock and get a full field of view Swaro 5-25X50, especially in a deer blind or off hand.

Can I have the LOP shortened? I'm afraid if I do it will kill any re-sale value. The rifle is VERY accurate .5 MOA to 600 yards (furthest I've shot steel with it). I use a custom BDC turret Swaro built for my rig.

I may sell it but I really love it , it's a first class build.....

Thoughts on cutting it shorter??
Buzz before you go to cutting it off put the butt in the crook of your elbow and see if you can get your finger on the trigger. If you can, the problem isn't stock length.

I would not cut the stock down myself if it needs to be done I'd send it to MacMillan to do it so you don't void your warranty.

I do have some room to scoot the scope back a bit. I was going to try that after the season, take it from there.
That's most likely the answer.

I would go ahead and try setting it back now, it shouldn't cost you more than six shots to get it back to zero. No sense trying to hunt with a setup that doesn't fit you.

possibly the use of an extended ring may give you the space to put the scope where you want it. i prefer two piece bases & run into this with leupolds and magnum length receivers. also burris two piece picatinny bases add some room. maybe fix an eye relief problem without shortening the stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.