Can a hunter go on a HMA (Muddy Mountain HMA) before the hunt to scout?

leadshot

Have Unit 31-1 Hunt. Looking at Muddy Mountain. Unit looks small. I was wondering if you can go on the HMA before the hunt to scout?

Yes, Wyoming. Flew out there for one day Sunday to scout. I was not happy with the number of speed goats. Now, Weather was not in my favor but I will know more Friday at start of hunt. Size is much smaller than I am used to. Huntin Fool recommended which shocked me. I covered some ground and talked with the Warden.

I'm still shakeing my head....I have never seen so few goats on any of the routes we took yesterday. When I told my daughter how many we saw she asked if we had our eyes open LOL
Area 32 would not be my first choice for goats but it wouldnt be my last either. It is a lot more huntable than I figured with the HMAs though! There are a LOT of averge buck with very few dandies.
Filling a prairie ghost tag is usualy not over an hour event....unless you want a dandy but then we dont usualy try on a day like yesterday.
Rained/hailed hard last night and there is snow on Casper mountain today so bring a coat (or 2) Friday. Watch the weather and you'll have a LOT better hunt!!
09outandabout%20238.jpg

The three bucks I got pictures of yesterday are smaller than I thought!
09outandabout%20229.jpg
09outandabout%20228.jpg
09outandabout%20226.jpg

They get bigger though.

09outandabout%20128.jpg

Gary%20017.jpg

Goats and Dogs.

Can't Thank local Mach V enough for his scouting help. While the goats were slim on our scouting trip it showed me the trails I needed and the roads we traveled were the roads my son and I took goats on quickly. The first you may remember was that good good dow at the pond. Had a little age on him. We finished of so quick we left for some trout fishihing. This weekend my son shot s coke bottle based horn buck down here in TX to start our season. Mach V, can't thank you enough. I might tell you guy's going to Wyoming that cell phone coverage is pretty slim though compared to what I am used to. Mach V. Will holler at you next year, I sure did see lots of dogs down Cheyenne way.

Glad you and your son scored goats...Didnt figure it would take to long. Still trying to gag down last years goat even though most of it went into jerky. As much fun as they are to hunt I aint buying a tag if the better ½ wount cook it. Gonna try to get out and fill some more Sony tags though, might even do a little mulie scouting??
Personaly I like the cell phone service in area 32....Once I get around the mountain I'm outa range of Momma and got the day to myself :D
Sounds like the goats horns are bigger where they dont get froze off for 6 mounths out of the year?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.